Alaska Blocks Intra-Asia Awards on Cathay, JAL and Hainan Within 72 Hours of Departure
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/15/18: Alaska has clarified its policy since it was first announced. It will not block last-minute partner awards on bookings from from North America — the restrictions will only apply to intra-Asia award tickets only.
Alaska Airlines has made a large and negative change to its MileagePlan award program. On February 8th, the airline updated three of its partner pages saying that award flights must be booked at least 72 hours before the departure time. The change is immediate and affects Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Hainan.
At first this might not seem like a huge deal: You simply can’t book three Alaska partners with 72 hours of departure. But using Alaska miles on Cathay Pacific and JAL are some of the best redemptions in the points and miles game. You can use just 70,000 Alaska miles to fly Cathay First, which is an absolute steal for one of the nicest cabins in the sky.
However, it could be quite tough to book one of these awards since Cathay releases an extremely limited amount of first class award seats. The main trick was waiting until the last minute when Cathay opened up first class award space, usually within 72 hours of departure, and then snagging the seat. The new policy essentially ends that strategy, especially since Alaska actually sees less availability for Cathay than other loyalty programs.
Alaska claims the change has to due with combating fraud, so it’s possible that the airline will be able to reverse the policy once it has figured out a better solution to combat the issue.
The next-best option is redeeming American miles or Asia Miles on Cathay, but you’ll have to shell out tens of thousands more miles than through MileagePlan for a one-way flight.
JAL and Hainan Airlines are usually a little better with award availability, so they may be less affected by this, but the rule still stands that most carriers usually release business and first class seats right before departure. The theory being that airlines are more willing to allow miles to be redeemed if they don’t think they are going to sell the seat anyway.
Fortunately Alaska didn’t actually change its MileagePlan award charts, but it’s just going to be much harder to find that coveted first and business class availability.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees