Book a “Ride” on the New Virgin Hyperloop One App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Hyperloop One, the leading company when it comes to Hyperloop production, released an app today that shows what it would be like to book a ride on the high-speed system.
Hyperloop One partnered with mapping company HERE to develop the concept app, which was revealed at CES on Monday. Although it’s just a concept right now, the public can plan on seeing the app in action later this year, according to TechCrunch.
“With hyperloop, passengers will be able to plan, book, and pay for a hyperloop journey as well as other modes of transportation including public, private, and ride-shares using the application,” said Matt Jones, SVP of Software Engineering at Hyperloop One.
The app incorporates the ability to book additional transportation, such as a Lyft, and provides seamless, customizable directions to your final destination. A video shows how you can plug in your destination and choose from a series of options based on categories like “sooner, cheaper or greener.” Even cooler, it looks like you’ll be able to choose what type of hyperloop pod experience you want. For instance, a Silent Work Pod, which is described as the place to “get things done” for those who need a “calm atmosphere to think.” Jones hopes the technology will drastically minimize any amount of waiting time.
“In our transportation system that uses intelligent location data, the Portal (where you embark onto your Hyperloop Pod) already knows what time you’re going to arrive as soon as you get into your Lyft. By the time you get there, pod departures will adjust to accommodate the time that you arrive,” said Ben Ellis, Hyperloop One’s Digital User Experience Manager.
Virgin Hyperloop One’s pod recently hit speeds of 240mph and the company hopes to begin construction of a Hyperloop route in 2019. It took on the Virgin title in 2017 and named Richard Branson as its chairman last month.
Featured image courtesy of Hyperloop One / Youtube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.