SPG Accidentally Awards Double Night and Stay Credits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
While there were some minor tweaks at the beginning of the year, the Starwood Preferred Guest program is still operating independently from Marriott Rewards — at least through the end of this year. That means it’s business as usual when it comes to qualifying for elite status, including the ability to earn up to 10 night and four stay credits each year, just for holding the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express and the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express.
Imagine my surprise, then, when I logged into my SPG account this morning to find that I was more than halfway to Platinum status, which requires 50 nights annually:
Clearly there was some sort of mistake — I’ve only had one qualifying stay in 2018 — but I certainly wasn’t going to complain about being halfway to my year-end goal without a single paid night. While a policy change seemed unlikely — especially given the fact that I had been awarded 25 nights instead of, say, twice the expected amount — I wasn’t holding out much hope.
As it turns out, quite a few other SPG members have received double credit; I wasn’t alone. Much to my non-surprise, a Marriott spokesperson confirmed that the extra credits had been awarded in error, and would be removed:
There are no changes in the elite benefits associated with the SPG Amex co-brand card. We are aware of the issue below and actively working to correct any errors.
So, yeah, if you thought you’d just landed a shortcut this time around, sadly that isn’t the case — your balance will likely return to normal soon.
Featured image of the St. Regis Maldives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.