SPG Accidentally Awards Double Night and Stay Credits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
While there were some minor tweaks at the beginning of the year, the Starwood Preferred Guest program is still operating independently from Marriott Rewards — at least through the end of this year. That means it’s business as usual when it comes to qualifying for elite status, including the ability to earn up to 10 night and four stay credits each year, just for holding the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express and the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express.
Imagine my surprise, then, when I logged into my SPG account this morning to find that I was more than halfway to Platinum status, which requires 50 nights annually:
Clearly there was some sort of mistake — I’ve only had one qualifying stay in 2018 — but I certainly wasn’t going to complain about being halfway to my year-end goal without a single paid night. While a policy change seemed unlikely — especially given the fact that I had been awarded 25 nights instead of, say, twice the expected amount — I wasn’t holding out much hope.
As it turns out, quite a few other SPG members have received double credit; I wasn’t alone. Much to my non-surprise, a Marriott spokesperson confirmed that the extra credits had been awarded in error, and would be removed:
There are no changes in the elite benefits associated with the SPG Amex co-brand card. We are aware of the issue below and actively working to correct any errors.
So, yeah, if you thought you’d just landed a shortcut this time around, sadly that isn’t the case — your balance will likely return to normal soon.
Featured image of the St. Regis Maldives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees