This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
As previously confirmed, Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will continue to be run independently in their current forms through the end of 2018. There will be some relatively minor tweaks to both programs, though, as outlined by Marriott this morning:
- Starpoints will never expire for SPG members with lifetime status, matching Marriott Rewards.
- Excess Marriott nights earned in 2017 will roll over to 2018, but nights earned in 2018 will expire at the end of next year.
- Marriott Rewards status buy back will be discontinued in 2018.
- SPG members will be able to earn points on Hertz rentals, as you’ve been able to do with Marriott Rewards.
- Marriott and SPG Platinum members will be eligible for free mid-tier Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status.
- Marriott Platinum Premier and SPG members with ambassador service will be eligible for top-tier Hertz Gold Plus President’s Circle status.
Overall, these changes, while minor, are largely positive. Many elite members likely already have Hertz Five Star status via The Platinum Card® from American Express, but some customers will benefit from this expanded partnership. Additionally, while we’d heard similar months back, it’s reassuring to have Marriott reconfirm that both programs will remain intact through next year.
We still don’t have details regarding the chain’s co-branded credit card plans, but we’ve reached out for more details, given that we’re expecting to learn more by the end of this year. For now, you can continue to apply for all co-branded cards, including the following:
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
- Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card
Don’t forget, if you haven’t already linked your Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest accounts, you can continue to do so to earn reciprocal elite status and transfer points instantly between both programs.
Featured image of an Overwater Villa at the St. Regis Maldives.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees