Minor Changes Coming to Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
As previously confirmed, Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest will continue to be run independently in their current forms through the end of 2018. There will be some relatively minor tweaks to both programs, though, as outlined by Marriott this morning:
- Starpoints will never expire for SPG members with lifetime status, matching Marriott Rewards.
- Excess Marriott nights earned in 2017 will roll over to 2018, but nights earned in 2018 will expire at the end of next year.
- Marriott Rewards status buy back will be discontinued in 2018.
- SPG members will be able to earn points on Hertz rentals, as you’ve been able to do with Marriott Rewards.
- Marriott and SPG Platinum members will be eligible for free mid-tier Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status.
- Marriott Platinum Premier and SPG members with ambassador service will be eligible for top-tier Hertz Gold Plus President’s Circle status.
Overall, these changes, while minor, are largely positive. Many elite members likely already have Hertz Five Star status via The Platinum Card® from American Express, but some customers will benefit from this expanded partnership. Additionally, while we’d heard similar months back, it’s reassuring to have Marriott reconfirm that both programs will remain intact through next year.
We still don’t have details regarding the chain’s co-branded credit card plans, but we’ve reached out for more details, given that we’re expecting to learn more by the end of this year. For now, you can continue to apply for all co-branded cards, including the following:
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
- Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card
Don’t forget, if you haven’t already linked your Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest accounts, you can continue to do so to earn reciprocal elite status and transfer points instantly between both programs.
Featured image of an Overwater Villa at the St. Regis Maldives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees