This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Starwood Preferred Guest program eliminated the option to status match to one of its elite status levels in 2011. However, last year it offered a status challenge for members, and 2018 is no different. As Loyalty Lobby reports, you can now register for SPG’s latest challenge for Gold or Platinum status.
In order to complete the status challenge for SPG Gold or Platinum status, you must register by June 30, 2018. To register, call SPG customer service (1-888-625-4988) or email email@example.com to request the challenge. Once you’re registered, you’ll have to complete the required number of nights (9 for Gold or 18 for Platinum) between a three-month period according to the schedule below:
- January 1 to March 31, 2018
- February 28 to April 30, 2018
- March 31 to May 31, 2018
Note that the first period has already begun, so if you choose that, you’ll have a shorter amount of time to meet your night requirements. In order to successfully challenge to SPG Platinum status, you’ll have to complete 18 paid nights, and if you’re looking to get Gold status, you’ll have to complete nine paid nights. If you successfully complete the challenge on or before February 28, 2018, you’ll have the status until February 28, 2019. However, if you successfully complete the challenge on or after March 1, 2018, you’ll have the status until February 28, 2020. So, it could be a good idea to wait to complete the challenge until after February 28.
If you want to challenge for Gold status, you’re not eligible to register if you’ve had Gold or Platinum status since 2013, and you’re only eligible for the Platinum status challenge if you haven’t had Platinum status since 2013. In addition, if you’ve ever completed an SPG status challenge in the past, you’re not eligible to participate in this challenge. If you register to participate in the challenge and fail to succeed in the night requirement, you can re-register and attempt to get the night requirement during a different three-month period. Only paid stays are eligible for this challenge — award stays do not count. You can read the full terms and conditions of the status challenge here.
If you’re interested in getting SPG Gold or Platinum status, this status challenge could be a great opportunity to get it, as SPG Gold status usually requires 10 stays or 25 nights, and Platinum status usually requires 25 stays or 50 nights. Keep in mind that you can also get complimentary SPG Gold status from the Amex Platinum Card and avoid the stay and night requirements altogether.
Also, remember that once you get SPG status, you can then instantly link it to your Marriott account. So, if you were to status challenge to Gold or Platinum status, you could then match it to also get Gold or Platinum status, respectively with Marriott.
Featured image of the St. Regis Maldives.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees