Google Project Fi Just Got Even More Attractive For Frequent Travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Google’s Project Fi holds a special place in my heart. It launched during my first week at TPG, back in April of 2015, and — in my opinion, at least — has motivated other US mobile carriers like AT&T and Verizon to drastically cut the rates of their international data packages.
I now find myself roaming on Verizon more often than swapping in a Google Fi SIM, despite VZ’s 500MB daily cap — since Verizon’s $10/day package includes voice calls and texting with my “regular” phone number, too — but if you’re willing to shift all your business to Google, Project Fi is worth a very serious look, especially if you’re overseas often.
Today, the program just became even more appealing — for power users in particular. Project Fi is now capping monthly data fees at $60, creating an “unlimited” plan of sorts. It isn’t a data free-for-all, unfortunately — speeds drop down to 256kbps once you hit 15 gigs consumed in a month — but you can always opt to resume paying $10 per gigabyte to unlock full LTE speeds.
That $60 cap applies to individual users only, who pay an additional $20 per month for calls and texts. Group plans have data cost caps as well, as outlined below, and these are even more appealing since the 15GB full-speed allowance is applied to each line rather than to the entire account.
The same $10/GB rate applies to international usage as well, with service available in more than 135 countries. That covers most of the world, including usual suspects like Australia and Canada, along with more off-the-beaten-path destinations like San Marino and Papua New Guinea.
Unlike with AT&T and Verizon’s $10/day plans, which include access to your regular voice allowance, calls not placed via Wi-Fi cost 20 cents per minute, though unlimited texts are included at no additional charge. Still, you’ll most often come out far ahead with Project Fi, especially you tend to consume more data than most.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees