This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thinking about drinking and driving? Lyft can help you with that — but not in the way that you might think.
The ride-sharing company has announced a partnership with Chicago Baderbräu Brewing Company which will be whipping up a Lyft-branded beer. If you can get your hands on a can, which will only be available in Chicago bars, you’ll receive a special code that can nab you up to a 60% discount on a Lyft ride.
The beer, aptly named Five Star Lager after the company’s rating system, is produced only in 12oz cans. Each beer will come with a promo code that can be entered into the Lyft app — the Chicago Tribune reports that the discount code offers 40 to 60 percent off a Lyft ride with a maximum discount of $5.
Unfortunately this isn’t a truly unique brew, but a rebranding of Baderbräu’s South Side Pride lager, according to the Tribune. The South Side Pride, self-described as a “beer-flavored beer,” is a lighter Helles-style lager with a 4.8% ABV.
The collaboration is in a similar vein of Lyft’s partnership with Budweiser thats provided thousands of free rides to encourage riders to steer away from drinking and driving. A Lyft spokesman told the Tribune it’s been a longtime goal of the company to get its branding inside bars.
Beginning at Baderbräu Brewery Thursday at a 5:30pm, Chicagoans will see Five Star Lager in 10 more bars by Friday and then an “additional 20 or 30 bars at a time throughout the coming months.” If successful, it’s possible Lyft will expand the program.
The discount code will expire seven days after it’s applied to a Lyft account and is only eligible to Lyft class rides. If you’re new to Lyft, you can sign up here to get $15 in credit towards your first three rides. Make sure to link your Delta SkyMiles and Lyft accounts to earn bonus miles on rides. If your discount code doesn’t cover the entire cost of the ride, remember to use a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire Reserve which will earn you 2x or 3x points, respectively.
Featured image courtesy of Lyft.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards