Delta Adds Seventh Route for Its New Airbus A350 Flagship Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been almost exactly two months since the last announcement of a new Delta A350 route. Now that the airline has five of its newest aircraft type delivered — with another 20 on order — those planes need to be put to good use.
Currently, Delta is using North America’s first A350s to fly from Detroit (DTW) to Tokyo’s Narita (NRT) and Seoul (ICN). Early in 2018, Delta will launch three more routes from Detroit: Beijing (PEK), Amsterdam (AMS) and Shanghai (PVG). Atlanta’s (ATL) first A350 route will take off to Seoul starting in March.
Now, thanks to a new schedule filing Sunday morning, we know the seventh Delta A350 route: Los Angeles (LAX) to Shanghai (PVG) will launch July 2.
In case you don’t know why a new Delta A350 route is a big deal, it’s currently Delta’s only aircraft with its excellent new Delta One Suites and Premium Select — Delta’s first true premium economy product.
Delta has already loaded the new schedule into its database, including its seemingly-consistent “New Flagship” award rate premium:
Delta is replacing its Boeing 777-200LR currently running between LAX-PVG with one of its new Airbus A350-900XWB. Flights between the two cities will utilize the A350 on alternating dates from July 2-18 before becoming daily starting July 18. This schedule is obvious when searching Delta’s website for Premium Select awards in July:
The flights will operate the following schedule:
- DL89 — Los Angeles (LAX) 1:25pm Departure ⇒ Shanghai (PVG) 5:50pm+1 Arrival
- DL88 — Shanghai (PVG) 8:15pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 5:35pm Arrival
Since this is the only Delta A350 route so far from LAX, it’ll be interesting to see how Delta utilizes the A350 for the nearly 20-hour turn in Los Angeles. That would be a long time for one of Delta’s flagship aircraft to be sitting on the ground. So, it seems logical for Delta to launch complementary A350 route(s) from LAX.
This will be Delta’s first A350 route from LAX, but the second A350 route to PVG — with Detroit (DTW) to Shanghai launching in April. Here are the routes and launch dates for Delta’s A350s:
- October 30, 2017 — Detroit (DTW)-Tokyo (NRT)
- November 18, 2017 — Detroit-Seoul (ICN)
- January 17, 2018 — Detroit-Beijing (PEK)
- March 2018 — Detroit-Amsterdam (AMS)
- March 24, 2018 — Atlanta (ATL)-Seoul
- April 19, 2018 — Detroit-Shanghai (PVG)
- July 2, 2018 — Los Angeles (LAX)-Shanghai
Check out TPG‘s video review of Delta One Suites here:
If you need advice about where to sit on the Delta A350 — or whether the aircraft is worth seeking out — we’ve got you covered:
- Touring Delta One, Premium Select and Coach on Delta’s First Airbus A350
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Economy
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Premium Select
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Delta One Business Class
- 11 Pros and Cons of the Delta One Suite on the Airbus A350
- Flight Review: Delta One Suites (A350) From Detroit to Tokyo
- Flight Review: Delta (A350) Premium Select From Detroit to Tokyo
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees