Delta Adds Seventh Route for Its New Airbus A350 Flagship Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been almost exactly two months since the last announcement of a new Delta A350 route. Now that the airline has five of its newest aircraft type delivered — with another 20 on order — those planes need to be put to good use.
Currently, Delta is using North America’s first A350s to fly from Detroit (DTW) to Tokyo’s Narita (NRT) and Seoul (ICN). Early in 2018, Delta will launch three more routes from Detroit: Beijing (PEK), Amsterdam (AMS) and Shanghai (PVG). Atlanta’s (ATL) first A350 route will take off to Seoul starting in March.
Now, thanks to a new schedule filing Sunday morning, we know the seventh Delta A350 route: Los Angeles (LAX) to Shanghai (PVG) will launch July 2.
In case you don’t know why a new Delta A350 route is a big deal, it’s currently Delta’s only aircraft with its excellent new Delta One Suites and Premium Select — Delta’s first true premium economy product.
Delta has already loaded the new schedule into its database, including its seemingly-consistent “New Flagship” award rate premium:
Delta is replacing its Boeing 777-200LR currently running between LAX-PVG with one of its new Airbus A350-900XWB. Flights between the two cities will utilize the A350 on alternating dates from July 2-18 before becoming daily starting July 18. This schedule is obvious when searching Delta’s website for Premium Select awards in July:
The flights will operate the following schedule:
- DL89 — Los Angeles (LAX) 1:25pm Departure ⇒ Shanghai (PVG) 5:50pm+1 Arrival
- DL88 — Shanghai (PVG) 8:15pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 5:35pm Arrival
Since this is the only Delta A350 route so far from LAX, it’ll be interesting to see how Delta utilizes the A350 for the nearly 20-hour turn in Los Angeles. That would be a long time for one of Delta’s flagship aircraft to be sitting on the ground. So, it seems logical for Delta to launch complementary A350 route(s) from LAX.
This will be Delta’s first A350 route from LAX, but the second A350 route to PVG — with Detroit (DTW) to Shanghai launching in April. Here are the routes and launch dates for Delta’s A350s:
- October 30, 2017 — Detroit (DTW)-Tokyo (NRT)
- November 18, 2017 — Detroit-Seoul (ICN)
- January 17, 2018 — Detroit-Beijing (PEK)
- March 2018 — Detroit-Amsterdam (AMS)
- March 24, 2018 — Atlanta (ATL)-Seoul
- April 19, 2018 — Detroit-Shanghai (PVG)
- July 2, 2018 — Los Angeles (LAX)-Shanghai
Check out TPG‘s video review of Delta One Suites here:
If you need advice about where to sit on the Delta A350 — or whether the aircraft is worth seeking out — we’ve got you covered:
- Touring Delta One, Premium Select and Coach on Delta’s First Airbus A350
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Economy
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Premium Select
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Delta One Business Class
- 11 Pros and Cons of the Delta One Suite on the Airbus A350
- Flight Review: Delta One Suites (A350) From Detroit to Tokyo
- Flight Review: Delta (A350) Premium Select From Detroit to Tokyo
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees