Delta Adds Seventh Route for Its New Airbus A350 Flagship Aircraft
It's been almost exactly two months since the last announcement of a new Delta A350 route. Now that the airline has five of its newest aircraft type delivered — with another 20 on order — those planes need to be put to good use.
Currently, Delta is using North America's first A350s to fly from Detroit (DTW) to Tokyo's Narita (NRT) and Seoul (ICN). Early in 2018, Delta will launch three more routes from Detroit: Beijing (PEK), Amsterdam (AMS) and Shanghai (PVG). Atlanta's (ATL) first A350 route will take off to Seoul starting in March.
Now, thanks to a new schedule filing Sunday morning, we know the seventh Delta A350 route: Los Angeles (LAX) to Shanghai (PVG) will launch July 2.
In case you don't know why a new Delta A350 route is a big deal, it's currently Delta's only aircraft with its excellent new Delta One Suites and Premium Select — Delta's first true premium economy product.
Delta has already loaded the new schedule into its database, including its seemingly-consistent "New Flagship" award rate premium:
Delta is replacing its Boeing 777-200LR currently running between LAX-PVG with one of its new Airbus A350-900XWB. Flights between the two cities will utilize the A350 on alternating dates from July 2-18 before becoming daily starting July 18. This schedule is obvious when searching Delta's website for Premium Select awards in July:
The flights will operate the following schedule:
- DL89 — Los Angeles (LAX) 1:25pm Departure ⇒ Shanghai (PVG) 5:50pm+1 Arrival
- DL88 — Shanghai (PVG) 8:15pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 5:35pm Arrival
Since this is the only Delta A350 route so far from LAX, it'll be interesting to see how Delta utilizes the A350 for the nearly 20-hour turn in Los Angeles. That would be a long time for one of Delta's flagship aircraft to be sitting on the ground. So, it seems logical for Delta to launch complementary A350 route(s) from LAX.
This will be Delta's first A350 route from LAX, but the second A350 route to PVG — with Detroit (DTW) to Shanghai launching in April. Here are the routes and launch dates for Delta's A350s:
- October 30, 2017 — Detroit (DTW)-Tokyo (NRT)
- November 18, 2017 — Detroit-Seoul (ICN)
- January 17, 2018 — Detroit-Beijing (PEK)
- March 2018 — Detroit-Amsterdam (AMS)
- March 24, 2018 — Atlanta (ATL)-Seoul
- April 19, 2018 — Detroit-Shanghai (PVG)
- July 2, 2018 — Los Angeles (LAX)-Shanghai
Check out TPG's video review of Delta One Suites here:
If you need advice about where to sit on the Delta A350 — or whether the aircraft is worth seeking out — we've got you covered:
- Touring Delta One, Premium Select and Coach on Delta’s First Airbus A350
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Economy
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Premium Select
- Where to Sit on Delta’s Airbus A350: Delta One Business Class
- 11 Pros and Cons of the Delta One Suite on the Airbus A350
- Flight Review: Delta One Suites (A350) From Detroit to Tokyo
- Flight Review: Delta (A350) Premium Select From Detroit to Tokyo