This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since the Starwood and Marriott merger was finalized, one of the ongoing questions has been how the co-branded credit cards for both Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards would work out. Marriott has long had an established relationship with JPMorgan Chase, and SPG has long had a co-branding relationship with American Express. On Tuesday, Marriott announced that it has signed new co-branding agreements with both Chase and American Express.
Tuesday’s announcement of new agreements with both Chase and Amex means that Marriott will offer co-branded cards with all loyalty programs: Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG. This is good news for consumers, as there shouldn’t be many changes to the current product offerings. Current SPG Amex cardholders will continue to be able to use their cards as usual.
As part of this announcement, Marriott said that it plans to introduce new co-brand products in 2018 with “enhanced member benefits.” More specifically, Marriott will offer a super-premium consumer and small business products with Amex, as well as premium consumer co-branded products from Chase. At this point, those are the only details available. More specific details on each of the new card offerings will be available in 2018. In the interim, both companies will retain their existing portfolio of accounts and continue to offer their current products.
This is huge news for both SPG and Marriott Rewards members, as we can expect to see more options from both Chase and Amex going forward. Earlier on Tuesday, TPG just awarded the Starwood Preferred Guest program as the best hotel loyalty program. The new co-brand credit card agreement is a developing story. Stay tuned for more analysis.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees