Marriott Signs New Agreements With Chase and Amex; to Offer New Co-Branded Cards in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since the Starwood and Marriott merger was finalized, one of the ongoing questions has been how the co-branded credit cards for both Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards would work out. Marriott has long had an established relationship with JPMorgan Chase, and SPG has long had a co-branding relationship with American Express. On Tuesday, Marriott announced that it has signed new co-branding agreements with both Chase and American Express.
Tuesday’s announcement of new agreements with both Chase and Amex means that Marriott will offer co-branded cards with all loyalty programs: Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG. This is good news for consumers, as there shouldn’t be many changes to the current product offerings. Current SPG Amex cardholders will continue to be able to use their cards as usual.
As part of this announcement, Marriott said that it plans to introduce new co-brand products in 2018 with “enhanced member benefits.” More specifically, Marriott will offer a super-premium consumer and small business products with Amex, as well as premium consumer co-branded products from Chase. At this point, those are the only details available. More specific details on each of the new card offerings will be available in 2018. In the interim, both companies will retain their existing portfolio of accounts and continue to offer their current products.
This is huge news for both SPG and Marriott Rewards members, as we can expect to see more options from both Chase and Amex going forward. Earlier on Tuesday, TPG just awarded the Starwood Preferred Guest program as the best hotel loyalty program. The new co-brand credit card agreement is a developing story. Stay tuned for more analysis.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.