Marriott Signs New Agreements With Chase and Amex; to Offer New Co-Branded Cards in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since the Starwood and Marriott merger was finalized, one of the ongoing questions has been how the co-branded credit cards for both Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards would work out. Marriott has long had an established relationship with JPMorgan Chase, and SPG has long had a co-branding relationship with American Express. On Tuesday, Marriott announced that it has signed new co-branding agreements with both Chase and American Express.
Tuesday’s announcement of new agreements with both Chase and Amex means that Marriott will offer co-branded cards with all loyalty programs: Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG. This is good news for consumers, as there shouldn’t be many changes to the current product offerings. Current SPG Amex cardholders will continue to be able to use their cards as usual.
As part of this announcement, Marriott said that it plans to introduce new co-brand products in 2018 with “enhanced member benefits.” More specifically, Marriott will offer a super-premium consumer and small business products with Amex, as well as premium consumer co-branded products from Chase. At this point, those are the only details available. More specific details on each of the new card offerings will be available in 2018. In the interim, both companies will retain their existing portfolio of accounts and continue to offer their current products.
This is huge news for both SPG and Marriott Rewards members, as we can expect to see more options from both Chase and Amex going forward. Earlier on Tuesday, TPG just awarded the Starwood Preferred Guest program as the best hotel loyalty program. The new co-brand credit card agreement is a developing story. Stay tuned for more analysis.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees