This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the wildfires raging throughout Southern California, residents and tourists alike are trying to escape the flames and find refuge in safer areas. While firefighters battle the blazes, companies are stepping up to help those affected by the disaster, including Lyft, which is offering free rides to wildfire evacuees.
Authorities have had to shut down entire freeways, including Highways 101 and 405, both of which connect many important cities, as flames approached Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) and LAX. The highways have since been reopened.
Lyft said it its offering free rides up to $40 for wildfire evacuees — taking those affected any evacuation center in the area. Riders need to enter the code: LASAFERIDES in the Lyft app to unlock the discounted trips.
According to KABC, Lyft drivers will take residents to the following evacuation centers:
- Ventura County Fairgrounds
- Nordhoff High School
- Oxnard College Gymnasium
- Santa Paula Community Center
- Fillmore Veterans Memorial
- Santa Barbara Multi Activity Center
- Balboa Recreation Center
- Van Nuys Recreation Center
- Delano Park
- Cheviot Hills Recreation Center
Evacuation centers may be added to the list as the situation evolves.
Featured image by Mark Ralston/Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards