This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Long-time AvGeeks, rejoice. World Airways, which was founded in the 1940s and ceased operations in 2014, was acquired on Wednesday by investment firm 777 Partners. In effect, you could see the famed World Airways livery on a tarmac near you in the future.
On Wednesday, the firm announced that it had acquired the intellectual properties of World Airways, Inc. As of now, we already know that it plans to relaunch World Airways as a long-haul, low-cost carrier, flying the most modern aircraft in the sky — none other than the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
According to a press release, discussions with Boeing are already underway for an initial order of up to 10 787 Dreamliner aircraft. At this time, there’s no timeline on when World Airways will launch its operations or what kind of services it will offer passengers.
“Today, we are proud to begin preparations to launch scheduled operations from the US to Asia and Latin America,” said Founding CEO of World Ed Wegel. “We will be partnering with low cost, short haul carriers in the US and in the regions we serve to provide connecting traffic to and from our initial planned gateways.”
According to World Airways’ website, it will have hubs in both Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA), the latter of which is where 777 Partners is based and where World Airways will also be based. Historically, World Airways was run out of Peachtree, Georgia.
World Airways, in the meantime, is in the process of relaunching its brand. On Twitter, the carrier has just one tweet…
… and its website advertises it simply as the “first U.S. long haul, low cost carrier.”
Based on Wegel’s comments, World has plans to initially launch with service to Asia and Latin America. In the Latin America market, it seems World has a leg up on the competition — especially if it’s low-cost. Considering that World could easily operate flights from Los Angeles to Asia and from Miami to Latin America, this makes sense.
At its peak, World Airways operated a fleet of Boeing 747s in the 1970s, an aircraft that it continued operating until closing its doors in 2014. In addition, the carrier also operated Boeing 707s, 727s, DC-8s and more. With the announcement that World will now operate one of the world’s most modern aircraft in the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, there’s plenty to be excited about for both the carrier and passengers — and, of course, AvGeeks. And, adding one more low-cost option is a plus for budget travelers looking to get from the US to Asia and Latin America.
Featured image by Christian Volpati / Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees