Bali’s Mt. Agung Erupts, Airport Remains Open
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Mt. Agung, a volcano in Bali, Indonesia, has begun erupting after months of warning from authorities and residents being advised to evacuate. However, Tuesday night’s eruption was small, and there has been little panic reported on the island.
The initial eruption sent a dark grey plume rising about 700 meters above the peak of the volcano. According to ABC, since the initial eruption, there have been no new evacuations on the island.
Denpasar’s airport, Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS), remains open at this time. In addition, both Jetstar Airways and Virgin Australia said on Tuesday night local time that their flights were operating to and from DPS as scheduled.
A spokesman for DPS said that visual observation via pilot reports was ongoing. Since the eruption on Tuesday night, the aviation color code from the Agung Volcano Observatory has been increased to orange with an ash cloud no higher than 3,900 meters, meaning:
“Volcano is exhibiting heightened unrest with increased likelihood of eruption.
Volcanic eruption is underway with no or minor ash emission.”
A FlightRadar24 map shows that aircraft are still flying in and out of DPS, as well as around the vicinity of Mt. Agung, which is located near the northeast corner of the island. Arriving aircraft are flying around the east coast of the island.
The Ritz-Carlton, Bali is telling travelers that the eruption was small, and the property doesn’t expect any disruptions at this point. According to the hotel, the volcano is located about two hours from it.
“People are encouraged to remain calm,” said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency. “Do not panic and believe misleading issues. Ngurah Rai International Airport is still safe and normal. Tourism in Bali is also safe, other than the dangerous radius around Mt. Agung.”
This eruption, albeit small, comes less than a month after its alert status was downgraded. Because of a decrease in seismic activity, the alert level was downgraded from the maximum level of four to three. However, in September, at least 140,000 nearby residents were evacuated.
If you’re in Bali or traveling to Bali in the near future, this small eruption shouldn’t be enough to send you into a panic. Experts say that there is nothing to worry about at this point — as long as you stay away from the immediate radius of Mt. Agung.
Featured image by Agus Ranu / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees