This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca’s LifeMiles program has been getting considerable attention lately, and now the program is running a promotion that let’s you score a pretty great deal on purchased miles. From now through November 27, 2017, you can buy them with a 145% bonus — no matter how many (or few) you buy. With the bonus, you’ll be purchasing the miles at 1.35 cents apiece.
To purchase your LifeMiles with a 145% bonus, head to the LifeMiles website. You can purchase 24,500 LifeMiles (10,000 + 14,500 bonus miles) for a total of $330 — at a rate of 1.35 cents apiece. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, LifeMiles are worth 1.7 cents apiece, so you’re potentially getting some great value out of this bonus promotion.
Note that according to the terms and conditions, you must purchase in increments of 1,000, and there’s a minimum of 1,000 miles. For this promotion, the maximum number of LifeMiles you can purchase is 200,000, which means that you can get a total of 490,000 miles with the bonus. Note that the LifeMiles you purchase don’t count toward elite status.
This is a very nice promotion from LifeMiles to end the year and top off your account. TPG‘s Richard Kerr has written about everything you need to know about the Avianca LifeMiles program — and don’t forget about the program’s hidden gems. In addition, just a few months ago, Avianca introduced a new feature to its award chart: short-haul US awards starting at 7,500 miles one-way. The carrier is a Star Alliance partner, so there are plenty of possibilities here for your miles, including Lufthansa first class.
In November, the Citi ThankYou program added Avianca LifeMiles as a transfer partner. So, if you’ve been looking to redeem for a LifeMiles award, there are now plenty of options to get those miles in your account — between purchasing them with a 145% bonus or transferring them from Citi or SPG. Just remember that if you do indeed want to buy LifeMiles with this 145% bonus, you must do so by November 27.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees