This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: The Platinum Card® from American Express
Amex Offers are opt-in, limited-time deals for American Express cardholders, like 5,000 Membership Rewards points for paying for an Amazon Prime membership, 10,000 MR points for spending $500 with AmexTravel.com, $160 cashback for spending $800+ on Delta and more.
Friday, a valuable new Amex Offer just posted to certain American Express credit card accounts: 20,000 Membership Rewards points for using a qualifying Amex card to pay for at least $1,000 in flights through KLM:
The downside about this offer is that you have less than two months to utilize it. You must purchase your flights through KLM between the time that you add the offer to your account and December 31, 2017. Also, this is targeted toward US cardholders, so Amex and KLM have added the requirement that the “flight must originate in US.”
The good news that you don’t have to spend all $1,000 in one transaction. So, you can book multiple cheap trips to Europe using this offer. As long as all of your flights are booked through KLM by December 31, you’ll get 20,000 points for spending more than $1,000 total. Even better, if you have this offer on your Platinum Card from American Express, you’ll earn 5x Membership Rewards points for these flights, as the purchase will be made directly with the airline.
How much are 20,000 Membership Reward points worth? TPG values them at 1.9 cents each, which means that this offer is worth about $380 — which is 38% back if you spend exactly $1,000. Using our tips, you might be able to get even more value out of these points.
(Random aside: One of the last times we saw this offer of 20,000 points for spending $1,000 at an airline… that airline was Air Berlin. That offer came out in July and now Air Berlin has completely ceased operations. Of course, that’s not an issue at KLM.)
How to Enroll
Remember that Amex Offers are targeted, so not every American Express card will be included in this promotion. In order to see if you’ve been targeted — and to enroll in the offer — log in to your AmericanExpress.com account. Scroll down to the “Amex Offers and Benefits” section. You may need to click “Load More” to see the offer.
If you have multiple cards linked under the same username/password, note that there’s a limit of one registration per Amex Offer per username/password. So, choose wisely if you have multiple targeted cards.
H/T: Frequent Miler
Featured image by TPG’s own Alberto Riva.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at Marriott and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,200 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees