California Residents Can Earn a Southwest Companion Pass After Just One Purchase
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here – Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
One of the best deals in travel is the Southwest Companion Pass ,which allows the holder to designate one person who can travel with them for (almost) free on Southwest Airlines flights through December of the next year after earning it.
All you have to do is pay the taxes on the free ticket, which means it costs just $5.60 for domestic US flights. And the value of the pass is unlimited. The Points Guy‘s own Richard Kerr once scored $1,264 in free travel across in two weeks alone using the Companion Pass.
Sometimes Southwest runs promotions in markets where it’s trying to gain market share, offering an accelerated path to the Companion Pass. Phoenix, Atlanta, Denver and California have gotten these offers in the past, which usually require five round-trips to satisfy the offer.
While those were some pretty good offers, the best targeted Companion Pass offer ever just popped up Monday morning: Sign up for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card and make one purchase to get a Companion Pass through December 31, 2018.
Note that there are a slew of terms, conditions and requirements for this offer:
- This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Rapid Rewards Credit Card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new cardmember bonus for a Rapid Rewards Credit Card within the last 24 months.
- Only the Rapid Rewards Member who received the email/offer from Southwest Airlines is eligible for this promotion. Unfortunately, the offer is nontransferable.
- To qualify for this offer, (a) Member must have a valid California address listed on their application for the Rapid Rewards Credit Card, (b) Member must open a Rapid Rewards Credit Card by November 30, 2017.
- Please allow up to 15 business days after qualifying for promotional Companion Pass to receive your notification to designate your Companion.
If you received this offer from Southwest, this is worth serious consideration. If you have a travel companion and you’re under the Chase 5/24 rule, there’s little doubt that you should take advantage of it.
The only reason you might not want to is if you have substantial travel in 2019 and have a qualifying business. This California-targeted offer only lets you get the Companion Pass through December 31, 2018. However, if you wait until January 2018 to earn the pass, you’ll get “BOGO” flights for almost two years — as the pass would be good through December 31, 2019.
Here’s how you’d be able to do that: sign-up for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card and its business version Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card and meet the required spending in 2018.
Currently, the personal card comes with a sign-up bonus of 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 in the first three months, and the business card comes with a sign-up bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months, giving you a total of 100,000 points — just shy of the 110,000 points needed for the Companion Pass. You’d need to spend $10,000 on these credit cards in 2018 ($4,000 of which could be from the minimum spend) or earn 10,000 Southwest Companion Pass-eligible points elsewhere to hit the targeted 110,000. Note that only points earned in 2018 would count toward the 110,000 target.
Featured image courtesy of Southwest Airlines.
Were you targeted for this excellent offer?
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees