Americans With Visas Are Still Able to Enter Turkey
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 12/28/2017: The Turkey-US visa spat has been resolved and now Americans are able to easily apply for Turkish e-visas once again.
Update 10/10/17: TPG reader Richard S. was able to speak with the Turkey Consular Hotline by calling +90 312 292 2929. I called this number using my Google Voice account, and the call cost 4 cents per minute. A friendly agent picked up right away and was happy to address my questions, including:
1. Can US citizens enter Turkey with previously issued visas? (Yes)
2. Can a US citizen apply for a visa using a passport issued by another country? (Yes)
3. When will the visa ban be lifted? (Unknown, as expected)
Fortunately, there are also a number of first-hand reports, including one from The Points Guy‘s own Nicholas du Pont, who was able to enter Turkey as a US citizen after the visa brouhaha erupted on Monday. Nicholas has an e-Visa that was issued before the ban, and the immigration officer didn’t bat an eye when he walked up to the counter:
They barely looked at the visa when I checked-in, and then when I landed here and handed it to the immigration agent, he handed it right back, stamped my passport, and that was it. No questions, no hassle.
Meanwhile, TPG reader Richard S. was able to get a hold of the Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and since he already has an e-Visa, a representative there told him that he shouldn’t have any issue when he visits next month.
So if you already have a valid visa, electronic or otherwise, you shouldn’t have any issue getting into Turkey. I’m hoping to visit the country in a few weeks — had I applied for an e-Visa as soon as I booked the trip, I wouldn’t have anything to worry about. Instead, I’m looking at alternative flights, and considering connecting in a different country altogether.
Have you entered Turkey this week as a US citizen?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees