Americans With Visas Are Still Able to Enter Turkey
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 12/28/2017: The Turkey-US visa spat has been resolved and now Americans are able to easily apply for Turkish e-visas once again.
Update 10/10/17: TPG reader Richard S. was able to speak with the Turkey Consular Hotline by calling +90 312 292 2929. I called this number using my Google Voice account, and the call cost 4 cents per minute. A friendly agent picked up right away and was happy to address my questions, including:
1. Can US citizens enter Turkey with previously issued visas? (Yes)
2. Can a US citizen apply for a visa using a passport issued by another country? (Yes)
3. When will the visa ban be lifted? (Unknown, as expected)
Fortunately, there are also a number of first-hand reports, including one from The Points Guy‘s own Nicholas du Pont, who was able to enter Turkey as a US citizen after the visa brouhaha erupted on Monday. Nicholas has an e-Visa that was issued before the ban, and the immigration officer didn’t bat an eye when he walked up to the counter:
They barely looked at the visa when I checked-in, and then when I landed here and handed it to the immigration agent, he handed it right back, stamped my passport, and that was it. No questions, no hassle.
Meanwhile, TPG reader Richard S. was able to get a hold of the Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and since he already has an e-Visa, a representative there told him that he shouldn’t have any issue when he visits next month.
So if you already have a valid visa, electronic or otherwise, you shouldn’t have any issue getting into Turkey. I’m hoping to visit the country in a few weeks — had I applied for an e-Visa as soon as I booked the trip, I wouldn’t have anything to worry about. Instead, I’m looking at alternative flights, and considering connecting in a different country altogether.
Have you entered Turkey this week as a US citizen?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees