How You Can Still Fly Turkish Airlines Without a Visa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 12/28/2017: The Turkey-US visa spat has been resolved and now Americans are able to easily apply for Turkish e-visas once again.
Early Monday, Turkey halted the issuance of new visas for US citizens — effectively, if you don’t already have a Turkish visa, including an e-Visa, you can no longer enter the country as a United States citizen.
We’ve received many questions from readers over the past 24 hours, several of whom don’t actually plan to enter the country — they’re simply booked on a Turkish Airlines flight connecting in Istanbul (IST). The good news for these passengers is that this new visa restriction will have no impact at all.
In fact, you may even benefit from the change, as many passengers with flights booked from and to the US will need to make other arrangements, and may end up canceling their Turkish Airlines bookings entirely, resulting in lighter loads on long-haul flights. Additionally, if you had originally worked in a Turkey stopover as part of a larger itinerary, as I did for travel in a few weeks, Turkish Airlines has issued a waiver, enabling you to request a refund or change your flights to eliminate an overnight stay.
If you aren’t able to fly Turkish without a long layover — due to limited flight options, for example — there’s also a transit hotel available to book. Rates vary depending on the length of your stay, ranging from €95 ($112) for a ~3-hour stay all the way up to €195 ($230) for up to 24 hours, based on single occupancy. There are 46 rooms in the airside area, which are accessible without passing through immigration. Due to the limited availability, I highly recommend booking in advance.
And, if you’re traveling in business class or you’re a Star Alliance Gold member, you can access the fantastic — if oddly named — July 15 Heroes of Democracy Lounge on your extended connection at IST.
Since there’s no impact to transit passengers, there’s no immediate need to change an itinerary that doesn’t include a stopover in Turkey. That said, I can see this situation leaving some customers feeling a bit uneasy — even though connecting flights aren’t covered by the waiver, if you’d rather not fly Turkish Airlines regardless, it’s worth contacting the airline to see what your options are. My itinerary happened to be fully refundable, for example, but since I simply need to cancel before departure in order to receive a refund, I’m keeping everything as is for now to see how this whole situation plays out.
Are you making any changes to your Turkish Airlines itinerary?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.