This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even though it’s been several months since passengers filmed law enforcement officers dragging Dr. David Dao off United flight 3411, the fallout from the incident continues. Now, two Chicago airport security officers who were involved in dragging Dao off the plane have been fired, and a third involved in the incident has resigned, according to Chicago Inspector General Joseph Ferguson.
Two other security officers have been given five-day suspensions. None of the officers have been named.
One fired officer was found to have violated regulations when he used force and “escalated a non-threatening situation into a physically violent one” by grabbing Dr. David Dao from his seat on the Embraer 170 that was to depart from O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and land at Louisville International Airport (SDF) in Kentucky on April 9. The other fired officer tried to mislead investigators about what happened, while a third excised incriminating elements from the official reports, Ferguson said.
Dao, who refused to give up his seat on the packed flight, suffered a concussion, a broken nose and had two teeth knocked out as officers dragged him from the plane. The scene was caught on a cell-phone video and quickly went viral, creating a public-relations maelstrom for United.
In June, the Chicago Department of Aviation police were decertified by the state, meaning that the nearly 300-person force is no longer considered a law-enforcement organization.
United Airlines reached an undisclosed settlement with Dao in late April.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees