Officers Fired for Dragging Dr. David Dao Off United Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even though it’s been several months since passengers filmed law enforcement officers dragging Dr. David Dao off United flight 3411, the fallout from the incident continues. Now, two Chicago airport security officers who were involved in dragging Dao off the plane have been fired, and a third involved in the incident has resigned, according to Chicago Inspector General Joseph Ferguson.
Two other security officers have been given five-day suspensions. None of the officers have been named.
One fired officer was found to have violated regulations when he used force and “escalated a non-threatening situation into a physically violent one” by grabbing Dr. David Dao from his seat on the Embraer 170 that was to depart from O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and land at Louisville International Airport (SDF) in Kentucky on April 9. The other fired officer tried to mislead investigators about what happened, while a third excised incriminating elements from the official reports, Ferguson said.
Dao, who refused to give up his seat on the packed flight, suffered a concussion, a broken nose and had two teeth knocked out as officers dragged him from the plane. The scene was caught on a cell-phone video and quickly went viral, creating a public-relations maelstrom for United.
In June, the Chicago Department of Aviation police were decertified by the state, meaning that the nearly 300-person force is no longer considered a law-enforcement organization.
United Airlines reached an undisclosed settlement with Dao in late April.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.