This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Sign on the dotted line, please.” It’s a phrase likely every credit card holder in the US has heard at some point after making a purchase. But it won’t be around for much longer if you use a Mastercard-branded card for your purchase. As of April 2018, Mastercard will no longer require signatures from debit or credit card holders on in-person purchases in the US and Canada.
“Eliminating the need for signature is another step in the digital evolution of payments and payment security,” Mastercard said. “Our consumer research found that a majority of people believe it would be easier to pay and that checkout lines would move faster if they didn’t need to sign when making a purchase.”
While this may seem like a huge step to take for a major company, it’s not that far off. Currently, more than 80% of Mastercard store transactions in North America don’t require a cardholder signature at checkout. The small change could drastically improve the cardholder experience for in-person purchases.
Mastercard is assuring cardholders that its levels of security will not be compromised with the switch to a signature-free transaction. The company said that its secure systems, along with digital payment methods such as card chips, tokenization, biometrics and digital platforms help provide new and more secure methods to prove a person’s identity.
Overall, this is a positive move from Mastercard, which may speed up the process for cardholders at checkout. This isn’t the first step Mastercard has taken to update its products. In April, the company announced that it could add fingerprint readers to credit cards in order to prove someone’s identity.
Featured image by ShotShare / Getty Images.
H/T: View From the Wing
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that