This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Sign on the dotted line, please.” It’s a phrase likely every credit card holder in the US has heard at some point after making a purchase. But it won’t be around for much longer if you use a Mastercard-branded card for your purchase. As of April 2018, Mastercard will no longer require signatures from debit or credit card holders on in-person purchases in the US and Canada.
“Eliminating the need for signature is another step in the digital evolution of payments and payment security,” Mastercard said. “Our consumer research found that a majority of people believe it would be easier to pay and that checkout lines would move faster if they didn’t need to sign when making a purchase.”
While this may seem like a huge step to take for a major company, it’s not that far off. Currently, more than 80% of Mastercard store transactions in North America don’t require a cardholder signature at checkout. The small change could drastically improve the cardholder experience for in-person purchases.
Mastercard is assuring cardholders that its levels of security will not be compromised with the switch to a signature-free transaction. The company said that its secure systems, along with digital payment methods such as card chips, tokenization, biometrics and digital platforms help provide new and more secure methods to prove a person’s identity.
Overall, this is a positive move from Mastercard, which may speed up the process for cardholders at checkout. This isn’t the first step Mastercard has taken to update its products. In April, the company announced that it could add fingerprint readers to credit cards in order to prove someone’s identity.
Featured image by ShotShare / Getty Images.
H/T: View From the Wing
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees