This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Sign on the dotted line, please.” It’s a phrase likely every credit card holder in the US has heard at some point after making a purchase. But it won’t be around for much longer if you use a Mastercard-branded card for your purchase. As of April 2018, Mastercard will no longer require signatures from debit or credit card holders on in-person purchases in the US and Canada.
“Eliminating the need for signature is another step in the digital evolution of payments and payment security,” Mastercard said. “Our consumer research found that a majority of people believe it would be easier to pay and that checkout lines would move faster if they didn’t need to sign when making a purchase.”
While this may seem like a huge step to take for a major company, it’s not that far off. Currently, more than 80% of Mastercard store transactions in North America don’t require a cardholder signature at checkout. The small change could drastically improve the cardholder experience for in-person purchases.
Mastercard is assuring cardholders that its levels of security will not be compromised with the switch to a signature-free transaction. The company said that its secure systems, along with digital payment methods such as card chips, tokenization, biometrics and digital platforms help provide new and more secure methods to prove a person’s identity.
Overall, this is a positive move from Mastercard, which may speed up the process for cardholders at checkout. This isn’t the first step Mastercard has taken to update its products. In April, the company announced that it could add fingerprint readers to credit cards in order to prove someone’s identity.
Featured image by ShotShare / Getty Images.
H/T: View From the Wing
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees