Mastercard Could Add Fingerprint Reader to Credit Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The days of verifying your credit card purchases with a PIN or signature could be numbered. This week, Mastercard unveiled new technology that’ll verify the cardholder’s identity with something as simple as their fingerprint.
The embedded biometric technology is the first of its kind on a credit card. The tool will allow the cardholder to register and enroll their fingerprint, which is then encrypted and stored on the card. Once enrolled, the cardholder will be able to insert their chip card into a standard reader and place their thumb on the biometric reader, which will scan the fingerprint and authorize the purchase — no PIN or signature required.
So far, this biometric feature has been trialled at two locations in South Africa, and Mastercard plans to test it out over the next few months in Europe and Asia Pacific. The company plans to launch the fingerprint feature in full later this year through issuers that choose to offer the technology.
As for the security of it all, according to the BBC, security experts say that while fingerprints are not foolproof, they’re a “sensible” use of biometric technology. There is currently technology that incorporates the use of a fingerprint, however, it’s offered on a separate scanner, meaning a store would need to have an external device in place in order for the customer to use it. This new concept from Mastercard would allow cardholders to scan their fingerprint right from their own card — no separate device required at the point of purchase.
Mastercard says the new fingerprint scanning technology can be used at EMV terminals around the world — that is, when the product is rolled out and issuers sign on to include it as a feature on their cards.
Earlier this year, Visa shared a prototype of the future with wearable payment coming in the form of in sunglasses. Mastercard has already been in the market for “payment of the future,” too. Last year, the company announced that it could begin to offer “selfie pay,” which would allow cardholders to take a picture of themselves in order to authenticate a purchase.
Featured image courtesy of Mastercard.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees