Icelandair Adds Economy Light to Better Compete With WOW Air
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
WOW Air’s ultra-low fares to Iceland and beyond are a boon for budget-minded travelers, and while they’ve helped push Europe ticket prices down across the board, they’re also eating away at legacy carrier bottom lines — especially at home in Iceland.
Icelandair first began flying passengers in 1938 and now operates service to almost 50 destinations from Reykjavik’s Keflavik International Airport (KEF). WOW Air, meanwhile, is a newcomer, having recently celebrated its five-year anniversary. Its fleet is already 17 strong, however, and with 33 destinations and many more on the way, the carrier’s clearly keeping Icelandair executives on their toes.
Wednesday, Icelandair took a major first step to compete with WOW’s significantly lower pricing, with a new coach product called Economy Light. It isn’t a separate class of service, but sounds like a less restrictive version of the Basic Economy booking option we’ve seen in the US. Icelandair’s announcement stops short of stating that Economy Light fares will be cheaper than the coach rates currently on the market, but if the airline wants to compete with WOW, something’s really gotta give…
The airline describes the new Economy Light booking class:
This option is designed for travelers taking a short weekend getaway or a quick business trip abroad. The new fare is also perfect when traveling with family members that don’t require additional luggage such as children or couples who can pack together. These passengers will enjoy the same quality of service from Icelandair including in-flight entertainment, non-alcoholic beverages, gate-to-gate wi-fi access and comfortable, spacious seats.
So, essentially, Light fares simply exclude a checked bag — one 50-pound bag is included with Economy Standard and Economy Flex fares. Once on board, Economy Light passengers receive the same service as everyone else. Starting ticket change rates are higher, though, at $275, compared with $200 for Standard and $75 for Flex. Economy Light fares still include a free stopover of up to seven days, and Light fares are eligible for mileage accrual at the same rate as Standard tickets.
I haven’t been able to find Economy Light fares just yet, however, so it isn’t clear just how much less expensive these tickets will be.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees