Video Shows Huge Emirates A380 Battling Crosswinds on Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dusseldorf International Airport (DUS) is known for having some tricky crosswinds during storms, and Airbus A380 pilots are some of the best trained folks in the business. But this landing by an Emirates A380 inbound from Dubai (DXB) on Thursday afternoon must have left at least a few passengers gripping their armrests.
The video starts with what appears to be a fairly standard crosswind approach as the pilots angle their aircraft to compensate for the winds. The plane touches down close to the runway’s centerline, but that’s when things get a bit hairy. The enormous Airbus bounces slightly back up off the ground, then once it gets its main wheels glued to the pavement, swerves left, right and then left again across the runway as the pilots lean hard on the rudder in an effort to find a straight path against the winds.
While the landing certainly looks frightening, the airline assured people the passengers were never in any danger. “Emirates flight EK 55 on 5 October 2017 landed safely in Dusseldorf under strong crosswind conditions,” an Emirates spokeswoman told CNET. “At no point was the safety of the passengers and crew onboard compromised.”
In any case, the professionalism of the men and women who pilot these giants of the air shows through in this video as the plane arrives safely in Dusseldorf. The crew deserves kudos for bringing their crew and passengers safely to their destination, not just in this particular instance but day in and day out.
Featured image by Cargospotter via YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.