Deal Alert: West Coast to Hawaii From $304 Round-Trip
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
The great fares we saw a few weeks ago to Hawaii are back, but now in some cases they’re even lower! United is the major carrier to offer these flights this time around, and you can get to all four of the major airports in Hawaiian Islands — Honolulu (HNL), Lihue (LIH), Maui (OGG) and Kailua-Kona (KOA) — from multiple Pacific coast cities for as low as $304 round-trip.
You’ll find many of these airfares from November through the end of the schedule in September 2018, with the exception of June/July and the December holiday season. You don’t need any tricks to get these prices, so just use Google Flights to pick the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with United itself. It also appears that none of these options are in Basic Economy, so you can book your trip knowing that you won’t have to worry about bringing a bag into the cabin or getting an advance seat assignment.
Most itinerary options are either nonstop or have just one short connection in either San Francisco (SFO) or Los Angeles (LAX) and there’s no minimum stay requirement, so you can either stay just a few days or make it a multi-week trip of eating your fill of poke and shave ice.
Airline: United Airlines
Routes: SFO/SEA/PDX/SMF/SAN/LAS to HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH
Cost: $304+ round-trip in economy
Dates: November 2017-September 2018 (except the December holidays and June-July)
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu, Oahu (HNL) for $304 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $304 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Kailua-Kona, Hawaii (KOA) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Lihue, Kauai (LIH) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Portland (PDX) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Sacramento (SMF) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Honolulu, Oahu (HNL) for $412 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by MichaelSvoboda via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.