Deal Alert: West Coast to Hawaii From $304 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
The great fares we saw a few weeks ago to Hawaii are back, but now in some cases they’re even lower! United is the major carrier to offer these flights this time around, and you can get to all four of the major airports in Hawaiian Islands — Honolulu (HNL), Lihue (LIH), Maui (OGG) and Kailua-Kona (KOA) — from multiple Pacific coast cities for as low as $304 round-trip.
You’ll find many of these airfares from November through the end of the schedule in September 2018, with the exception of June/July and the December holiday season. You don’t need any tricks to get these prices, so just use Google Flights to pick the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with United itself. It also appears that none of these options are in Basic Economy, so you can book your trip knowing that you won’t have to worry about bringing a bag into the cabin or getting an advance seat assignment.
Most itinerary options are either nonstop or have just one short connection in either San Francisco (SFO) or Los Angeles (LAX) and there’s no minimum stay requirement, so you can either stay just a few days or make it a multi-week trip of eating your fill of poke and shave ice.
Airline: United Airlines
Routes: SFO/SEA/PDX/SMF/SAN/LAS to HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH
Cost: $304+ round-trip in economy
Dates: November 2017-September 2018 (except the December holidays and June-July)
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu, Oahu (HNL) for $304 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $304 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Kailua-Kona, Hawaii (KOA) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Lihue, Kauai (LIH) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Portland (PDX) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Sacramento (SMF) to Kahului, Maui (OGG) for $362 round-trip via Orbitz:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Honolulu, Oahu (HNL) for $412 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image by MichaelSvoboda via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees