You Can Once Again Book Singapore Airlines Awards via United’s Website and App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 10/13/17: Singapore Airlines has pulled its business-class awards to Australia from partners, so unfortunately the A350 flights to Brisbane that appeared on United’s site last week are no longer available through United or other partners, such as Aeroplan.
Update 10/3/17: United has confirmed that this change was intentional and took effect today, adding “We’re excited to offer our customers this easy booking option via the United website and app.”
Update 10/3/17: As my friend Tiffany points out, there is an opportunity to redeem United miles for Singapore’s latest business-class product on at least one route. Availability is quite good between Singapore and Brisbane, Australia, giving you an opportunity to score a lie-flat seat on the Airbus A350 for just 30,000 miles each way.
Nearly four years ago, Singapore Airlines award space disappeared from United‘s website and app. Telephone reps could still book awards on Singapore-operated flights, but since you’d need to call or use another partner to find space in the first place, this move severely limited exposure for SQ awards.
Now, that’s no longer the case — as TPG contributor Richard Kerr pointed out in his Facebook group, Singapore awards are back! You can once again redeem United MileagePlus miles to book these flights on United.com and via United’s mobile app.
Unfortunately the same limitations apply on United’s site that do through other partners — namely, you can’t use partner miles to book Singapore’s top products, such as business or first class on the Airbus A350, Airbus A380 or Boeing 777-300ER. You also can’t use United miles for premium economy, and I’m not seeing economy award space on Singapore’s flights to and from the US, though it’s possible that it may be available on some dates.
Still, this is great news, since it opens up connecting options in Southeast Asia. For example, you can book United’s new nonstop flight from Los Angeles to Singapore in Polaris business class then connect to a Singapore Airlines flight to Bali, also in business class.
Or you can book Singapore flights on their own, including long-haul economy on some routes. For example, you can redeem just 17,500 United miles to fly Singapore’s A380 between SIN and New Zealand, or 25,000 miles each way beginning November 1, 2017.
While the ability to book long-haul business or first class would obviously be ideal, Singapore’s economy product is solid as well — it’s certainly a step above what you’ll find when flying most competitors, especially those based in the US.
It’s great to see that United’s brought Singapore Airlines award space back to its website and app, adding many more easy-to-book options for getting around Southeast Asia and beyond. I’m just hoping the move was intentional — it’ll sting quite a bit to lose online SQ availability again.
Have you noticed any Singapore award space on flights to and from the US?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.