Barclaycard Introduces the No-Fee Uber Visa Card With up to 4% Cash Back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Application Link: Uber Visa Card
Earlier this year, we first learned that Uber was teaming up with Barclaycard to launch a credit card, but neither company had details to share. Now, it’s official: The card is called the Uber Visa Card, and it will be available on November 2.
This card is interesting for a few reasons. First, you’ll be able to apply for it directly from your Uber app, and if you’re approved you’ll be able to start using it immediately to pay for Uber purchases. You’ll also receive a physical card in the mail, but it reflects the on-demand aspect of the ride-share company in that there’s immediate digital functionality as well. Second, the card’s bonus categories aren’t exactly what you might expect, given that this is an Uber card:
- 4% back on restaurants, takeout and bars, including UberEats
- 3% back on airfare, hotel and vacation home rentals
- 2% back on online purchases including Uber, online shopping, video and music streaming services (certain online purchases are excluded, including third-party payment services)
- 1% back on all other purchases
So even though this is a co-branded Uber card, the highest bonus category is for dining — including but not limited to UberEats. You will earn 2% back on Uber rides, but it’s interesting (and reflective of the fact that consumers love to eat out) that the card rewards you more for spending at restaurants than for rides.
Other essential details: In addition to being a no-annual-fee card, the Uber Visa waives foreign transaction fees. It’s launching with a sign-up bonus of $100 after you spend $500 in the first 90 days, and it offers mobile phone insurance for up to $600 for damage and theft when you use the card to pay your phone bill. (It’s a less-rewarding option for this kind of spending than the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card, but it’s nice to see this coverage offered by a no-fee card.) An additional unique feature is that if you spend at least $5,000 on the card in a year, you’ll get a $50 credit that will automatically be applied toward online subscription services such as Netflix.
The Uber Visa Card offers three ways for redeeming your rewards. Though the earning scheme is structured like that of a cash-back card, you technically earn points, which are worth 1 cent apiece toward Uber rides, statement credits or gift cards. You can redeem points for Uber rides directly in your app once you have a minimum of 500 points ($5) in your account. Redeeming points as a statement credit for your account or toward gift cards requires a minimum of $25 (2,500 points).
The new Uber Visa looks to be a pretty solid option for those who frequently spend on dining and who’d like to earn rewards toward rides and other purchases with the company. It’s definitely not the most rewarding option for Uber rides — the Chase Sapphire Reserve’s 3x points on travel handily beats it, and you can get $200 in Uber credits each year with The Platinum Card from American Express — but it’s actually one of the best cash-back options for dining, even beating the recently introduced Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card’s 3% back for this category. The information for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Will you be applying for this card when it becomes available on November 2?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees