United’s 767 With the New Polaris Business Seats Launches From Newark Friday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While United’s new 777-300ER has received the majority of the Polaris fanfare, the 767-300ER retrofit is an even bigger deal in my book. The reason? United only operates a total of 14 of the larger 777s, and they’re assigned to the carrier’s longest international routes. There are 34 767-300s, though, currently assigned to flights from Chicago and the East Coast to Europe, as well as United’s nonstops from Newark and Washington, DC to Honolulu.
These smaller 767s are currently undergoing a massive refurbishment, with the first-class cabin and all business-class seats being removed and 30 Polaris business seats being put in instead, in a 1-1-1 configuration where every seat has aisle access. Based on the images in our first look, United’s retrofitted planes will be one of the most private options for transatlantic travel, though due to the all-single-seat configuration, they’re arguably not the best fit for couples.
We got an exclusive look at a selection of interior renderings earlier this summer, but Friday evening is the first time customers will actually be onboard, when the first retrofitted plane, N644UA, operates the inaugural Polaris 767 flight from Newark to London. Flight 110 is the lucky winner — unfortunately there aren’t any business seats left for sale, but you could always book an economy seat, apply for an upgrade and hope for the best.
I’ve been tracking this aircraft throughout the retrofit process, so I booked one of the last Polaris seats as soon as the flight was confirmed. If you happen to be on the flight, swing by seat 9L to say hello! Otherwise, stay tuned for our 767 Polaris content, including an aircraft tour later Friday and a full review to follow Saturday morning.
Will you be joining me on United’s 767 Polaris inaugural?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees