Singapore Airport Employee Accused of Swapping Luggage Tags
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When traveling, there are few things more annoying than showing up at baggage claim and waiting 20 minutes (or more) to realize your luggage didn’t make it on your flight. Unfortunately for some 280-plus travelers, Tay Boon Keh, a baggage handler at Changi Airport in Singapore, ensured that many bags would not end up at their final destination — with pieces of luggage arriving in various (wrong) places.
Keh, 63, an employee of Lian Cheng Contracting, a subcontractor of the airport, allegedly began a crime of switching baggage tags in November 2016, according to The Straits Times. Authorities believe the tag-swapper continued manipulating the baggage everyday for three or four months — until this February, 2017, when he was caught. Keh is being charged with 286 counts of mischief.
In response to Keh’s motives,Changi Airport has said that this was an isolated event and that there was no breach of aviation security. In a statement to The Straits Times, a spokesman stated that the airport has added enhanced access control and patrols have been stepped up as well.
The bag that began Keh’s spree of mischief had an intended destination of Penang and was to be transported on a Singapore Airlines flight. Other airlines that had to deal with Keh’s mischief include SilkAir and Lufthansa; the bags affected were supposed to arrive in London, Hong Kong, Manila and Perth.
In court last week, Keh, who was unrepresented, did not discuss any motive for his crimes. The court reported that Keh plans to plead guilty and if convicted of mischief, he could be jailed for up to one year and fined for each of the 286 charges against him.
Image by AFP /Getty Images
H/T: The Straits Times
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees