Paris Just Launched a Female-Only Taxi Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Women have been getting a lot of attention in the travel world lately. In just the past year, we’ve seen female-only security checkpoints open at China’s Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (CAN); a fleet of pink rickshaws for women, driven by women, in India; designated rows for female solo travelers flying Air India; and a whole package of special seating and services, like taxi stand escorts, on Vistara. While some of these enterprises have arisen out of safety concerns, they’re also a direct response to the rising number of female solo travelers.
Now, according to The Local, France is jumping on the trend with Women Drive, the country’s first female-only taxi service, which just launched in Paris. The company is the brainchild of entrepreneur Sarra Boubchir, who was inspired to create Women Drive after an uncomfortable experience she had coming home from a work event one evening. The driver began acting in an inappropriate way toward Boubchir and her friend, who didn’t mince words to let him know that they weren’t interested. When the women ignored his advances, he left them there. The company’s mission, according to Boubchir, is to “prove that transporting people is not a profession reserved for men, and that women have the right to be transported in peace.”
This isn’t some ragtag group of women simply offering their transportation services to fellow females for an evening; Women Drive is a truly luxurious service. The female-only roster of drivers ride around the City of Light in Mercedes coupes, which come with fresh water, makeup kits and computer tablets. In addition to offering quick rides from one location to another, the service also utilizes concierge and personal shopping services and can even act as your tour guide to the city. As Condé Nast Traveler reports, the multilingual drivers — or “hostesses” — will not disturb passengers with “prying eyes or indelicate questions.”
Rates for shorter rides are based on distance, while longer trips are billed at flat rates of either 50 euros (~$59) per hour, or 350 euros (~$416) for a full-day shopping and sightseeing extravaganza. While Paris is the only city where ladies can currently get the Women Drive treatment, Boubchir hopes to take the company nationwide in the near future. To which we say, oui oui!
H/T: The Local
Featured photo by Spaces Images/Getty.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.