Hong Kong Airlines Launching A350 Flights to New York and San Francisco
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, we reported that Hong Kong Airlines (HX) would be launching nonstop service from HKG to Los Angeles, operated by its brand-new Airbus A350. The carrier has already taken delivery of its first plane and has a whopping 21 A350s on order, though, so it seemed likely that LAX wouldn’t be HX’s only US destination.
While that Los Angeles flight will be the first to launch, on December 18, 2018, the South China Morning Post is reporting that HX will also launch service to New York and San Francisco, in addition to London. All three flights will launch next year. These are all Cathay Pacific destinations, of course, so it’ll be interesting to see what impact these new flights have on Cathay (and other legacy carrier) fares, especially considering the airline’s current financial position.
According to an Airbus press release, HX’s A350s offer a total of 334 seats, with 33 lie-flat beds in business, 108 seats in Economy Comfort and 193 coach seats. The state-of-the-art cabin includes in-flight entertainment and satellite Wi-Fi.
These new flights haven’t been loaded yet, so it isn’t possible to price them out. The carrier’s LAX flight is available for as little as $427 round-trip in economy, though, so it’s possible that we’ll see deep-discount economy fares from San Francisco and New York as well.
HX has a frequent flyer program called Fortune Wings Club, and offers award flights on all of its routes. A round-trip economy award will run you 65,000 miles to LAX, while business class goes for 125,000 — award rates from San Francisco and New York may be comparable, but that remains to be seen. You can earn miles by flying HX and on some Virgin Australia flights, along with select partners (primarily for Hong Kong residents). The airline isn’t part of an alliance, so unfortunately redemption opportunities are limited for flyers based in the US.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees