Hong Kong Airlines Launching A350 Flights to New York and San Francisco
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, we reported that Hong Kong Airlines (HX) would be launching nonstop service from HKG to Los Angeles, operated by its brand-new Airbus A350. The carrier has already taken delivery of its first plane and has a whopping 21 A350s on order, though, so it seemed likely that LAX wouldn’t be HX’s only US destination.
While that Los Angeles flight will be the first to launch, on December 18, 2018, the South China Morning Post is reporting that HX will also launch service to New York and San Francisco, in addition to London. All three flights will launch next year. These are all Cathay Pacific destinations, of course, so it’ll be interesting to see what impact these new flights have on Cathay (and other legacy carrier) fares, especially considering the airline’s current financial position.
According to an Airbus press release, HX’s A350s offer a total of 334 seats, with 33 lie-flat beds in business, 108 seats in Economy Comfort and 193 coach seats. The state-of-the-art cabin includes in-flight entertainment and satellite Wi-Fi.
These new flights haven’t been loaded yet, so it isn’t possible to price them out. The carrier’s LAX flight is available for as little as $427 round-trip in economy, though, so it’s possible that we’ll see deep-discount economy fares from San Francisco and New York as well.
HX has a frequent flyer program called Fortune Wings Club, and offers award flights on all of its routes. A round-trip economy award will run you 65,000 miles to LAX, while business class goes for 125,000 — award rates from San Francisco and New York may be comparable, but that remains to be seen. You can earn miles by flying HX and on some Virgin Australia flights, along with select partners (primarily for Hong Kong residents). The airline isn’t part of an alliance, so unfortunately redemption opportunities are limited for flyers based in the US.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.