Hong Kong Airlines Launching Nonstop A350 Service to LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you haven’t traveled through Hong Kong (HKG) within the last few years, there’s a very good chance you’ve never heard of Hong Kong Airlines (I’ll refer to it using its airline code HX for short). The airport’s most ubiquitous tenant is Cathay Pacific, of course, but decade-old regional carrier HX is making a push for long-haul service, having recently launched a flight to Vancouver (YVR) and sharing plans for another major North American destination.
HX’s current service is fairly limited, as evidenced by the airline’s route map — with its own flights labeled in blue:
Come December 18, 2017, you’ll be seeing HX’s livery on US soil, when the carrier begins flying to Los Angeles (LAX). The flight will be operated by the Airbus A350-900 — and with a total of 21 on order, we’re likely to see the carrier announce other destinations (perhaps even more in the US) soon. The planes are reportedly being configured with 33 seats in a 1-2-1 configuration in business class and 301 in economy.
Flights will operate every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday through January 15, 2018, at which point HX will move to a daily schedule, with departures as follows:
- HX069 Los Angeles (LAX) 10:45am Departure ⇒ Hong Kong (HKG) 6:20pm (+1) Arrival
- HX068 Hong Kong (HKG) 12:10pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 8:55am Arrival
This new route is now available to book, and even shows up on Google Flights. I’m seeing round-trip fares from LAX starting at $743 in economy and $4,675 in business class, which are a hair lower than LAX’s existing flights to Hong Kong, including one on American’s 777-300ER and up to four operated by Cathay Pacific.
HX has a frequent flyer program called Fortune Wings Club, and offers award flights on all of its routes, including LAX. A round-trip economy award will run you 65,000 miles, while business class goes for 125,000. You can earn points by flying HX and on some Virgin Australia flights, along with select partners (primarily for Hong Kong residents). The airline isn’t part of an alliance, so unfortunately redemption opportunities are limited for flyers based in the US.
Will you be booking a flight on Hong Kong Airlines?
Featured image of Hong Kong Airlines’ A350 in production courtesy of Alex Macheras.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees