Welcome to the Busiest Labor Day Weekend of Air Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Did you fly somewhere this Labor Day weekend? If the airport crowds seemed larger than usual, there’s a reason. Airlines for America estimates that 16.1 million Americans are taking to the skies this busy travel weekend. This is a 5% jump from last year’s record 15.4 million travelers over the same seven-day period.
While the airports may feel as hectic as ever, you might actually feel less crowded once on-board. Airlines ramped up capacity to handle the onslaught of travelers; with 770,000 additional people expected to fly this Labor Day weekend, airlines added around 930,000 additional seats. It seems that the airlines are really hoping to avoid making the news and/or paying out large sums of money for flyers that volunteer to give up their seats.
The good news is that the worst of the airport crowds is now behind us. The two busiest days for travel this weekend were expected to be Friday and Thursday, respectively. Saturday and Sunday are believed to be the lightest days of the seven-day travel period as most vacationers enjoy time at their destinations. Planes will be full again Monday as travelers head home ahead of work on Tuesday, a day likely to be a bit less busy as those with flexible schedules make moves.
Be sure to leave yourself plenty of time if you’re flying on Monday or Tuesday. While it’s far too late to get signed up for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry for this trip, long security lines may have you longing for the PreCheck check mark on your boarding pass.
TPG recommends getting Global Entry — particularly using a credit card that will reimburse the application fee. If you’re looking for the fastest way to get that coveted check mark, here’s how to find a TSA PreCheck enrollment center nearest to you. It’ll come in handy the next time you’re flying one of the 37 participating airlines.
Do you have Global Entry or TSA PreCheck yet?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees