This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news Trusted Travelers! TSA PreCheck just expanded to seven new airlines — bringing the total number to an impressive 37 participating carriers.
While most of the new airlines have limited impact to most travelers (Dominican Wings, InterCaribbean Airways, Silver Airways, Swift Air), there are a few carriers that are significant additions. International carriers Copa Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Turkish Airlines are all now part of the TSA PreCheck program.
This is especially nice as we just learned yesterday that the TSA is rolling out more restrictive measures soon — including removing all food and electronics larger than cellphones from your bag before scanning. The TSA is reporting that these measures won’t impact TSA PreCheck passengers.
Here’s the updated list of participating airlines:
Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Aruba Airlines, Avianca, Boutique Airlines, Cape Air, Copa Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Dominican Wings, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, InterCaribbean Airways, JetBlue Airways, Key Lime Air, Lufthansa, Miami Air International, OneJet, Seaborne Airlines, Silver Airways, Singapore Airlines, Southern Airways Express, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, Sunwing Airlines, Swift Air, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet, Xtra Airways
Those of us who fly transatlantic a lot will notice one major international airline is still missing from the list: British Airlines. Again, we’ll hope for British Airways next time around.
PreCheck, Global Entry or NEXUS?
If you haven’t enrolled in TSA PreCheck program, you can do so for $85 for a five-year membership. However, we recommend paying just $15 more and getting Global Entry instead. It’ll get you the same domestic security benefits of the TSA PreCheck program while also allowing you to speed through the US border by using automated kiosks. Plus, a handful of credit cards will reimburse the enrollment cost.
That said, it’s much easier to sign up for TSA PreCheck than Global Entry, as PreCheck offers many convenient airport enrollment centers and doesn’t require a sometimes-lengthy interview scheduling process. But, if you’re tempted to get TSA PreCheck first, remember that you won’t be able to “upgrade” to Global Entry — without starting the process from scratch.
For those living near the Canadian border, there’s an even better option: NEXUS costs just $50 and will also get you a Known Traveler Number granting you TSA PreCheck privileges.
For those living near the Mexican border, there’s the SENTRI option. However, at $122 to register, it’s not the most cost-effective option unless you cross the US-Mexico border often.
No matter the program that you use to get a Trusted Traveler Number, make sure to take the final step of adding your Known Traveler Number to your flight reservation. Otherwise, the whole enrollment process will have been for naught!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees