Tip: Monitor Your Reservation for Aircraft Swaps
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aircraft swaps are an unfortunate but common part of flying. The problem is that sometimes when they happen, the aircraft that’s being swapped in is smaller than the originally-planned metal. In such a case, some premium cabin travelers are downgraded to economy, and other economy passengers could be bumped from the flight entirely, as there’s just not enough room.
That being said, it’s important to monitor your flight in the days and weeks leading up to travel, as swaps can occur without any warning to passengers. To do so, you’ll want to set aircraft change alerts. You can also log in to your frequent flyer account and ensure that the aircraft type is the same as when you originally booked — one of the best ways to check is by looking at the seat map. If you see a change in the aircraft type, it’ll be worth your time to call the airline to make sure your seat is secure. If it’s an upgrade in aircraft to a better hard product, you’ll be in luck with the swap, but if it’s a downgrade to an older seat, chances are you’ll want to change your reservation.
Check out this post for more information on how to handle a last-minute equipment swap.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees