This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The remote South Atlantic island of St Helena has had only one connection with the world for centuries. Until now, if you wanted to travel there, you had to go by boat. That boat, the RMS St Helena, takes two to five days to reach its nearest ports of call, in Ascension Island and Cape Town, South Africa, respectively. But a recently announced air route will shorten the travel time to about six hours.
St Helena Airport (HLE) was built on St Helena to replace the nautical service, but once it was completed, it was discovered that severe winds on the island could pose a danger to aircraft when landing. The project was first announced in 2005 and cost about 285 million British pounds. The boat service was slated to end once airline service began, but due to the delay of airline service, the RMS St Helena has continued to provide transportation for passengers and cargo goods.
Airlink expects to start service to St Helena in October, but the carrier is still going through the governmental approval process. It has not announced a firm schedule, or what the fares will be. Airlink is a privately owned carrier, founded in 1995, and it currently serves 30 destinations in southern Africa. It’s partnered with Star Alliance member South African Airways, so passengers will be able to connect in Johannesburg to almost any part of the world.
St Helena may not be easy to get to, but the small volcanic island is breathtakingly beautiful. You can check out a gallery of photos from its tourism board here.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards