St Helena’s Airport Is Finally Getting Airline Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The remote South Atlantic island of St Helena has had only one connection with the world for centuries. Until now, if you wanted to travel there, you had to go by boat. That boat, the RMS St Helena, takes two to five days to reach its nearest ports of call, in Ascension Island and Cape Town, South Africa, respectively. But a recently announced air route will shorten the travel time to about six hours.
St Helena Airport (HLE) was built on St Helena to replace the nautical service, but once it was completed, it was discovered that severe winds on the island could pose a danger to aircraft when landing. The project was first announced in 2005 and cost about 285 million British pounds. The boat service was slated to end once airline service began, but due to the delay of airline service, the RMS St Helena has continued to provide transportation for passengers and cargo goods.
The island has finally received its first scheduled airline service. A South African carrier called Airlink will offer service from St Helena to Johannesburg and Cape Town each Saturday, with a stop in Windhoek, Namibia, using an ETOPS-certified two-class Embraer 190 jet (shown in the video above). The journey will take about six hours each way.
Airlink expects to start service to St Helena in October, but the carrier is still going through the governmental approval process. It has not announced a firm schedule, or what the fares will be. South African Airways, so passengers will be able to connect in Johannesburg to almost any part of the world.
St Helena may not be easy to get to, but the small volcanic island is breathtakingly beautiful. You can check out a gallery of photos from its tourism board here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees