This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The remote South Atlantic island of St Helena has had only one connection with the world for centuries. Until now, if you wanted to travel there, you had to go by boat. That boat, the RMS St Helena, takes two to five days to reach its nearest ports of call, in Ascension Island and Cape Town, South Africa, respectively. But a recently announced air route will shorten the travel time to about six hours.
St Helena Airport (HLE) was built on St Helena to replace the nautical service, but once it was completed, it was discovered that severe winds on the island could pose a danger to aircraft when landing. The project was first announced in 2005 and cost about 285 million British pounds. The boat service was slated to end once airline service began, but due to the delay of airline service, the RMS St Helena has continued to provide transportation for passengers and cargo goods.
Airlink expects to start service to St Helena in October, but the carrier is still going through the governmental approval process. It has not announced a firm schedule, or what the fares will be. Airlink is a privately owned carrier, founded in 1995, and it currently serves 30 destinations in southern Africa. It’s partnered with Star Alliance member South African Airways, so passengers will be able to connect in Johannesburg to almost any part of the world.
St Helena may not be easy to get to, but the small volcanic island is breathtakingly beautiful. You can check out a gallery of photos from its tourism board here.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees