Have You Seen the First In-Flight Cannabis Commercial?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 08/31/2017: Alaska responded to our request for comment with this statement:
The ad is part of a 30 min program called “Lifestyle 365” that compromises of 10-15 commercials in varying length from 30-90 seconds. This is not an ad shown to all people on board Virgin America flights, a guest must actively choose to watch this 30 min ad reel. It had 1,963 views out of 1.7M on RED this month. We are in the process of evaluating all the existing content on the RED entertainment system, as we move toward a consolidated IFE strategy across Alaska and Virgin America.
As marijuana legalization becomes more and more the norm throughout the United States — it is now legal for recreational use in eight states and the District of Columbia — it’s inevitable that we will see more weed-related items, media and culture throughout our society.
Earlier this summer Virgin America debuted the first ever in-flight commercial for a cannabis-related business. The minute and a half long spot was created by Wikileaf, an app that helps you search for cannabis stores in areas where the substance is legal and tracks prices of different strains at each outlet.
The ad shows a woman packing for her flight and then facing the question of whether she should bring her marijuana on her trip. “The simple answer is no,” says the narrator — obviously, since the federal government deems it a banned narcotic. But the ad then segues into how Wikileaf operates, and its utility for travelers in weed-friendly states.
Virgin America started playing the ad in June and says it’s expected to run through mid-September, on all domestic flights, meaning it will likely reach nearly 8 million passengers. According to Ad Age, there are lots of regulations around cannabis ads, so Wikileaf needed to find a creative way to advertise its product.
Have you seen the Wikileaf ad on a Virgin America flight?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees