Hyatt Offering Generous Shortcut to Top-Tier Globalist Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This couldn’t have come at a better time. Just today, several TPG staffers and I were talking about our elite qualification progress for 2017. We realized that following the World of Hyatt switchover and a new requirement of 60 nights to earn top-tier Globalist status, not a single one of us expects to make the cut. Instead, just like me, my colleagues are focusing on Starwood Preferred Guest (and other programs) — Hyatt’s top tier now seems so far out of reach that we’ve given up trying. Ouch!
And clearly we aren’t the only ones… just a few minutes ago, Hyatt sent out emails about a very generous shortcut to earn Globalist status.
Any members currently holding Discoverist status or above can qualify for Globalist after just 20 nights, with one notable catch: You need to have the Hyatt Credit Card linked to your account. The good news is that if you have the card, you should already have Discoverist status, making you eligible for the promo. Additionally, stays booked before registration are eligible for this promotion. The bad news is that any stays prior to September 1 do not qualify.
Assuming you’re a current Discoverist or Explorist member, you can earn Explorist all the way through February 2019 by logging 10 tier-qualifying nights between September 1 and December 30, 2017. Most paid rates will qualify, as will cash + points, though regular award nights (without a cash co-pay) will not.
You just need to register by September 30. Here’s how to do it in three easy steps:
1. Head to Hyatt’s dedicated registration page
2. Enter your World of Hyatt account number
3. Hit “Register”
Of course Step 4 is logging 20 qualifying nights between September 1 and December 30, but even if you’re not sure you’ll be able to pull that off, it doesn’t hurt to register.
I’ve currently accumulated just 22 qualifying nights, but following my recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Guam, I don’t have a single Hyatt stay booked for the rest of 2017 — almost all of my planned hotel stays are with SPG. 38 nights with just four months to go simply wasn’t doable for me, but I could potentially pull off 20.
What matters more is whether or not I think I’ll be staying with Hyatt next year. Unless I can count on a similar promotion — or Hyatt reduces the requirement for Globalist — I just don’t see myself choosing a Hyatt over an SPG member hotel. I really do value the confirmed suite upgrades, but otherwise the perks aren’t worth more to me than what I get from Starwood and Marriott. And, since you need to stay 60 nights to earn the confirmed suite upgrades (and a free night at any Hyatt hotel), I’m not sure this promotion is worth pursuing for me.
Does this promo make you more likely to stay with Hyatt this year?
Featured image of TPG at the Park Hyatt Maldives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees