Hyatt Offering Generous Shortcut to Top-Tier Globalist Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This couldn’t have come at a better time. Just today, several TPG staffers and I were talking about our elite qualification progress for 2017. We realized that following the World of Hyatt switchover and a new requirement of 60 nights to earn top-tier Globalist status, not a single one of us expects to make the cut. Instead, just like me, my colleagues are focusing on Starwood Preferred Guest (and other programs) — Hyatt’s top tier now seems so far out of reach that we’ve given up trying. Ouch!
And clearly we aren’t the only ones… just a few minutes ago, Hyatt sent out emails about a very generous shortcut to earn Globalist status.
Any members currently holding Discoverist status or above can qualify for Globalist after just 20 nights, with one notable catch: You need to have the Hyatt Credit Card linked to your account. The good news is that if you have the card, you should already have Discoverist status, making you eligible for the promo. Additionally, stays booked before registration are eligible for this promotion. The bad news is that any stays prior to September 1 do not qualify.
Assuming you’re a current Discoverist or Explorist member, you can earn Explorist all the way through February 2019 by logging 10 tier-qualifying nights between September 1 and December 30, 2017. Most paid rates will qualify, as will cash + points, though regular award nights (without a cash co-pay) will not.
You just need to register by September 30. Here’s how to do it in three easy steps:
1. Head to Hyatt’s dedicated registration page
2. Enter your World of Hyatt account number
3. Hit “Register”
Of course Step 4 is logging 20 qualifying nights between September 1 and December 30, but even if you’re not sure you’ll be able to pull that off, it doesn’t hurt to register.
I’ve currently accumulated just 22 qualifying nights, but following my recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Guam, I don’t have a single Hyatt stay booked for the rest of 2017 — almost all of my planned hotel stays are with SPG. 38 nights with just four months to go simply wasn’t doable for me, but I could potentially pull off 20.
What matters more is whether or not I think I’ll be staying with Hyatt next year. Unless I can count on a similar promotion — or Hyatt reduces the requirement for Globalist — I just don’t see myself choosing a Hyatt over an SPG member hotel. I really do value the confirmed suite upgrades, but otherwise the perks aren’t worth more to me than what I get from Starwood and Marriott. And, since you need to stay 60 nights to earn the confirmed suite upgrades (and a free night at any Hyatt hotel), I’m not sure this promotion is worth pursuing for me.
Does this promo make you more likely to stay with Hyatt this year?
Featured image of TPG at the Park Hyatt Maldives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.