You Can Now Charter Your Own Private Boeing 777
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Crystal Cruises is finally making the dream of chartering a private Boeing 777-200LR jet come true. Best known for ultra-luxe cruises, the company took to the skies with the launch of the Crystal Skye — the largest privately-owned tour jet in the world — on Sunday, August 13, when the plane was christened in Las Vegas’ McCarran International Airport (LAS).
The opulent, decked-out airplane can shuttle up to 88 guests to far-flung locales (for about $55,000 an hour) in such luxury that could make some first-class passengers on a traditional commercial flight envious.
The plane’s seats are arranged in a staggered 2-2-2 configuration and you can expect customized privacy surroundings, a four-way adjustable headrest and individual storage ottomans. The Crystal Skye also features amenities like Bose headphones, iPads, Etro-branded amenity kits, 25-inch IFE screens and unlimited Wi-Fi.
Just like with premium cabins on most long-haul commercial fleets, each seat reclines to a fully lie-flat configuration of about 70.5 inches, so if you’re on the taller end of the height spectrum, beware.
The plane features a 24-seat lounge with a dedicated bar and sofas, while details such as a custom ceiling and stone accents adorn the interior of the cabin.
In-flight meals are cooked by a private chef with access to a steam oven and sous vide cookers; wine is sourced by an in-flight sommelier.
Crystal originally planned to offer highly curated itineraries, dubbed “AirCruises,” but shelved the plan after customers began to request specific chartered flights. The Boeing 777 was originally built for Air Austral in 2011 and flew for more than four years with the airline before it was eventually purchased by its new owner.
According to The Standard, Crystal Skye is set to fly its inaugural journey on September 30, hauling 86 passengers from Hong Kong on a specialized eight-night itinerary that includes stops in Nairobi, Kenya, and Tahiti. To date, three bookings have been finalized — including one with the National Hockey League — and another dozen are in process, according to Edie Rodriguez, CEO of Crystal Cruises.
At about $55,000 an hour, it’s no surprise that chartering a private jet isn’t cheap — let alone a Boeing 777. But if you can pony up the cash, the plane can be used for just about any event — think destination weddings, celebrations, as a private event space for product launches, private jet tours or entertaining a group of your 87 closest friends.
H/T: Airways Magazine
Featured image courtesy of Greenpoint Technologies.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.