Use This Trick to Avoid Delta’s Horrendous JFK Security Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a fan of waiting in hour-long first-class security lines, Delta’s JFK checkpoints probably rank near the top of your “bucket list” — excruciating waits are the norm there, even for premium-cabin passengers and elites.
But as GodSaveThePoints notes in a recent blog post, savvy travelers have an interesting trick up their sleeves when it comes to avoiding Terminal 4’s absurdly long queues. The secret to beating the long lines is to head to a TSA checkpoint on the first-floor arrivals level, instead of the overcrowded checkpoints at departures.
While most JFK flyers might not be aware of this (potential) shortcut, it’s definitely known to Delta employees — during last month’s “Silent Disco” flight, Delta reps shuffled the group through this very screening area. I didn’t see the departures level on that trip, but our arrivals line was hardly speedy — with 100 or so passengers to get through, it felt like we waited at least 20 minutes before reaching a TSA agent.
Still, compared to the hour+ waits TPG has experienced at the much more crowded departures checkpoint, this “secret” screening area seems to offer quite an advantage, even with dozens of passengers in queue.
Do you have any airport “hacks” of your own to share?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees