Use This Trick to Avoid Delta’s Horrendous JFK Security Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a fan of waiting in hour-long first-class security lines, Delta’s JFK checkpoints probably rank near the top of your “bucket list” — excruciating waits are the norm there, even for premium-cabin passengers and elites.
But as GodSaveThePoints notes in a recent blog post, savvy travelers have an interesting trick up their sleeves when it comes to avoiding Terminal 4’s absurdly long queues. The secret to beating the long lines is to head to a TSA checkpoint on the first-floor arrivals level, instead of the overcrowded checkpoints at departures.
While most JFK flyers might not be aware of this (potential) shortcut, it’s definitely known to Delta employees — during last month’s “Silent Disco” flight, Delta reps shuffled the group through this very screening area. I didn’t see the departures level on that trip, but our arrivals line was hardly speedy — with 100 or so passengers to get through, it felt like we waited at least 20 minutes before reaching a TSA agent.
Still, compared to the hour+ waits TPG has experienced at the much more crowded departures checkpoint, this “secret” screening area seems to offer quite an advantage, even with dozens of passengers in queue.
Do you have any airport “hacks” of your own to share?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.