Use This Trick to Avoid Delta’s Horrendous JFK Security Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a fan of waiting in hour-long first-class security lines, Delta’s JFK checkpoints probably rank near the top of your “bucket list” — excruciating waits are the norm there, even for premium-cabin passengers and elites.
But as GodSaveThePoints notes in a recent blog post, savvy travelers have an interesting trick up their sleeves when it comes to avoiding Terminal 4’s absurdly long queues. The secret to beating the long lines is to head to a TSA checkpoint on the first-floor arrivals level, instead of the overcrowded checkpoints at departures.
While most JFK flyers might not be aware of this (potential) shortcut, it’s definitely known to Delta employees — during last month’s “Silent Disco” flight, Delta reps shuffled the group through this very screening area. I didn’t see the departures level on that trip, but our arrivals line was hardly speedy — with 100 or so passengers to get through, it felt like we waited at least 20 minutes before reaching a TSA agent.
Still, compared to the hour+ waits TPG has experienced at the much more crowded departures checkpoint, this “secret” screening area seems to offer quite an advantage, even with dozens of passengers in queue.
Do you have any airport “hacks” of your own to share?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.