This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer travelers to Milan be warned: Your selfie sticks are no longer welcome. On Friday, local authorities banned the smartphone accessory everyone loves to hate — alongside other commonplace items like glass bottles and cans — from the Darsena docklands area of Milan’s recently renovated historical port-turned-pedestrian haven.
The ban is expected to last through August 12 (and possibly longer), and also includes “moving trade” (including street food and food trucks) to better crack down on excess littering. While we’re not sure how selfie sticks lead to littering, its inclusion in the ban may be Milan’s way of fighting back against what it sees as anti-social behavior, Travel + Leisure reports. Milan’s councilor for security, Carmela Rozza, told Polimerica that the ban, which she noted may be renewed, will stamp out littering by “making it a habit not to bring glass bottles or cans in Darsena.”
The ban makes Milan the latest Italian city to combat tourism’s dark side this summer, joining Rome and Florence in bad behavior crackdowns. Rome has been the hot spot: Last week it banned public drinking at night after previously putting an official halt to swimming in and eating near 40 historic city fountains, including the iconic Trevi Fountain. In Florence, the authorities have gotten a little more creative and have been hosing down the steps of famous basilicas to stop tourists from picnicking on them.
H/T: The Local
Featured image of tourists using a selfie stick in Milan courtesy of Eugenio Marongiu via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees