This 30-Year-Old Is the World’s Youngest Female Boeing 777 Captain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In recent years, women have been making waves in the highly male-dominated profession that is aviation. Just last year, Kate McWilliams of EasyJet made news for being the world’s youngest commercial airline captain. Today, the spotlight is on 30-year old Air India Captain Anny Divya, who became the world’s youngest female to command a Boeing 777 aircraft.
Getting to the left-hand seat of the flight deck didn’t come easy for Anny. In a society where career stereotypes still exist, Anny’s childhood dream of being a pilot was often laughed at by schoolmates. While relatives and family friends were also unsupportive of her career choice, it was her parents’ progressive thinking that led 17-year old Anny to enroll in Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi (IGRUA), a flight school in Uttar Pradesh.
In school, the Vijaywada native was often mocked for her poor grasp of English. Her family also faced financial issues and had to take a loan for her education. Undeterred, the teenager persevered and eventually secured a job with national carrier Air India upon graduation. The then 19-year old was sent to Spain for commercial pilot training, and returned to fly the Boeing 737. At 21, she started flying the company’s flagship Boeing 777 aircraft after another training stint in London.
Anny’s achievement is remarkable, but may seem even more impressive when you consider the following statistic: Of the 140,000 airline pilots worldwide, just under 6,500 of them are females — an average just over 5% globally — and only 450 of them are captains. We hope this story inspires many more female aviators to take to the skies and experience the joy of flying.
H/T: Times Now
Feature image courtesy of ScoopWhoop
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.