Alaska Airlines Subsidiary Flights Continue to Be Canceled Due to Pilot Shortage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Horizon Air has hit some bumpy air this summer, with mass flight cancellations due to a pilot shortage. Horizon, a regional carrier and Alaska Airlines subsidiary, was forced to cancel more than 318 flights recently.
The airline has now announced that it will be cutting even more flights through August. And according to a tip from TPG reader Herb M., his Monday flight from Calgary (YYC) to Seattle (SEA) was canceled with only two days of notice due to “shortage of pilots.”
Horizon doesn’t have enough pilots to fly its 52 Bombardier Dash 8-400 aircraft. The cancellations represent 6.2% of all Horizon flights in August. According to the Seattle Times, about 17,000 passengers with Horizon Air flights from August 4 through September 3 have had their flights canceled, although they were rebooked on different same-day Horizon or Alaska itineraries. Passengers affected should have received an email notifying them of their flight change. There are no additional cancellations beyond what was previously shared, Horizon spokeswoman Ann Johnson told TPG.
Horizon CEO Dave Campbell even said that the airline is studying its fall and winter timetables “to ensure we have schedules that we can reliably operate.” Luckily for travelers, the company has tried to eliminate flights on routes with multiple daily frequencies, like Seattle (SEA) to Portland (PDX) which it currently flies 26 times a day.
Horizon currently serves 45 cities throughout Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, the West Coast and Western Canada, and it was purchased by Alaska in 1986. Johnson blamed the cancellations on the “unprecedented” growth of Alaska Airlines and pilot attrition. Alaska started its merger with Virgin America earlier this year.
To attract new pilots to the company Horizon is offering hefty bonuses, up to $20,000 dollars for those who can fly a Q400, and starting pay has been raised from $30 to $40 an hour. And to make sure the planes keep flying while they build back up its staff, Horizon increased overtime pay to 200% of a pilot’s salary instead of 150%.
Cancellations may be temporary, though, as it’s possible that if Horizon can build back up its staff to normal levels, it will be able to operate normally. Its June and July new-hire pilot classes were completely full, with 30 trainees expected to finish the program each month, said Johnson.
Pilot shortages are not new to the aviation industry. Republic Airways blamed its 2016 bankruptcy on a lack of skilled aviators. Johnson added that now “things are looking up for Horizon” and that pilots recently ratified a contract with “top of the industry wages.”
Featured image courtesy of George Rose via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.