These Are the 10 Longest Passenger Flights in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The competition for the world’s longest passenger flight continues to heat up with multiple airlines vying for the bragging rights that come along with operating such a flight. With cheaper fuel and increased efficiency, airlines have continued to test the limits of their various long-range aircraft by linking far-flung cities that previously wouldn’t have seen nonstop service on that route.
Over the past several years, airlines have been leap-frogging one another — seemingly adding a new world’s longest route every couple of months. Qantas Airways is set to launch the first ever direct link between Australia and Europe in 2018 with its nonstop flight from Perth (PER) to London (LHR). Meanwhile, the world’s new longest airline route, a nonstop flight from New York to Singapore (SIN), is set to be revived by Singapore Airlines next year.
Qatar Airways tops this year’s list with a whopping 9,032-mile trek lasting 17 hours and 30 minutes on its nonstop Doha (DOH) to Auckland (AKL) route, according to a report from OAG. Here’s the full list of the world’s 10 longest airline routes by miles for 2017.
Longest Passenger Flights in the World
|Rank||Airline||Route||Distance (miles)||Flight time*||Aircraft|
|1.||Qatar||AKL – DOH||9,032||17h 30m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|2.||Emirates||AKL – DXB||8,824||17h 15m||Airbus A380|
|3.||United||LAX – SIN||8,770||17h 55m||Boeing 787-9|
|4.||Qantas||DFW – SYD||8,578||17h 10m||Airbus A380|
|5.||United/Singapore||SFO – SIN||8,446||17h 15m||Boeing 787-9/Airbus A350|
|6.||Delta||JNB – ATL||8,439||16h 55m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|7.||Etihad||AUH – LAX||8,390||16h 45m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|8.||Emirates||DXB – LAX||8,339||16h 15m||Airbus A380|
|9.||Saudia||JED – LAX||8,332||16h 40m||Boeing 777-300ER|
|10.||Qatar||DOH – LAX||8,306||16h 15m||Boeing 777-200LR|
*Flight time measured by longest blocked time (typically the westbound leg).
This battle among the world’s carriers doesn’t show any signs of slowing down, either. United Airlines just last week announced that it’ll operate a flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) operated by its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which will be the longest route ever flown by a US carrier. The flight is already bookable, with daily nonstop service beginning on October 27.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.