These Are the 10 Longest Passenger Flights in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The competition for the world’s longest passenger flight continues to heat up with multiple airlines vying for the bragging rights that come along with operating such a flight. With cheaper fuel and increased efficiency, airlines have continued to test the limits of their various long-range aircraft by linking far-flung cities that previously wouldn’t have seen nonstop service on that route.
Over the past several years, airlines have been leap-frogging one another — seemingly adding a new world’s longest route every couple of months. Qantas Airways is set to launch the first ever direct link between Australia and Europe in 2018 with its nonstop flight from Perth (PER) to London (LHR). Meanwhile, the world’s new longest airline route, a nonstop flight from New York to Singapore (SIN), is set to be revived by Singapore Airlines next year.
Qatar Airways tops this year’s list with a whopping 9,032-mile trek lasting 17 hours and 30 minutes on its nonstop Doha (DOH) to Auckland (AKL) route, according to a report from OAG. Here’s the full list of the world’s 10 longest airline routes by miles for 2017.
Longest Passenger Flights in the World
|Rank||Airline||Route||Distance (miles)||Flight time*||Aircraft|
|1.||Qatar||AKL – DOH||9,032||17h 30m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|2.||Emirates||AKL – DXB||8,824||17h 15m||Airbus A380|
|3.||United||LAX – SIN||8,770||17h 55m||Boeing 787-9|
|4.||Qantas||DFW – SYD||8,578||17h 10m||Airbus A380|
|5.||United/Singapore||SFO – SIN||8,446||17h 15m||Boeing 787-9/Airbus A350|
|6.||Delta||JNB – ATL||8,439||16h 55m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|7.||Etihad||AUH – LAX||8,390||16h 45m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|8.||Emirates||DXB – LAX||8,339||16h 15m||Airbus A380|
|9.||Saudia||JED – LAX||8,332||16h 40m||Boeing 777-300ER|
|10.||Qatar||DOH – LAX||8,306||16h 15m||Boeing 777-200LR|
*Flight time measured by longest blocked time (typically the westbound leg).
This battle among the world’s carriers doesn’t show any signs of slowing down, either. United Airlines just last week announced that it’ll operate a flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) operated by its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which will be the longest route ever flown by a US carrier. The flight is already bookable, with daily nonstop service beginning on October 27.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.