This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The competition for the world’s longest passenger flight continues to heat up with multiple airlines vying for the bragging rights that come along with operating such a flight. With cheaper fuel and increased efficiency, airlines have continued to test the limits of their various long-range aircraft by linking far-flung cities that previously wouldn’t have seen nonstop service on that route.
Over the past several years, airlines have been leap-frogging one another — seemingly adding a new world’s longest route every couple of months. Qantas Airways is set to launch the first ever direct link between Australia and Europe in 2018 with its nonstop flight from Perth (PER) to London (LHR). Meanwhile, the world’s new longest airline route, a nonstop flight from New York to Singapore (SIN), is set to be revived by Singapore Airlines next year.
Qatar Airways tops this year’s list with a whopping 9,032-mile trek lasting 17 hours and 30 minutes on its nonstop Doha (DOH) to Auckland (AKL) route, according to a report from OAG. Here’s the full list of the world’s 10 longest airline routes by miles for 2017.
Longest Passenger Flights in the World
|Rank||Airline||Route||Distance (miles)||Flight time*||Aircraft|
|1.||Qatar||AKL – DOH||9,032||17h 30m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|2.||Emirates||AKL – DXB||8,824||17h 15m||Airbus A380|
|3.||United||LAX – SIN||8,770||17h 55m||Boeing 787-9|
|4.||Qantas||DFW – SYD||8,578||17h 10m||Airbus A380|
|5.||United/Singapore||SFO – SIN||8,446||17h 15m||Boeing 787-9/Airbus A350|
|6.||Delta||JNB – ATL||8,439||16h 55m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|7.||Etihad||AUH – LAX||8,390||16h 45m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|8.||Emirates||DXB – LAX||8,339||16h 15m||Airbus A380|
|9.||Saudia||JED – LAX||8,332||16h 40m||Boeing 777-300ER|
|10.||Qatar||DOH – LAX||8,306||16h 15m||Boeing 777-200LR|
*Flight time measured by longest blocked time (typically the westbound leg).
This battle among the world’s carriers doesn’t show any signs of slowing down, either. United Airlines just last week announced that it’ll operate a flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) operated by its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which will be the longest route ever flown by a US carrier. The flight is already bookable, with daily nonstop service beginning on October 27.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees