These Are the 10 Longest Passenger Flights in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The competition for the world’s longest passenger flight continues to heat up with multiple airlines vying for the bragging rights that come along with operating such a flight. With cheaper fuel and increased efficiency, airlines have continued to test the limits of their various long-range aircraft by linking far-flung cities that previously wouldn’t have seen nonstop service on that route.
Over the past several years, airlines have been leap-frogging one another — seemingly adding a new world’s longest route every couple of months. Qantas Airways is set to launch the first ever direct link between Australia and Europe in 2018 with its nonstop flight from Perth (PER) to London (LHR). Meanwhile, the world’s new longest airline route, a nonstop flight from New York to Singapore (SIN), is set to be revived by Singapore Airlines next year.
Qatar Airways tops this year’s list with a whopping 9,032-mile trek lasting 17 hours and 30 minutes on its nonstop Doha (DOH) to Auckland (AKL) route, according to a report from OAG. Here’s the full list of the world’s 10 longest airline routes by miles for 2017.
Longest Passenger Flights in the World
|Rank||Airline||Route||Distance (miles)||Flight time*||Aircraft|
|1.||Qatar||AKL – DOH||9,032||17h 30m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|2.||Emirates||AKL – DXB||8,824||17h 15m||Airbus A380|
|3.||United||LAX – SIN||8,770||17h 55m||Boeing 787-9|
|4.||Qantas||DFW – SYD||8,578||17h 10m||Airbus A380|
|5.||United/Singapore||SFO – SIN||8,446||17h 15m||Boeing 787-9/Airbus A350|
|6.||Delta||JNB – ATL||8,439||16h 55m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|7.||Etihad||AUH – LAX||8,390||16h 45m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|8.||Emirates||DXB – LAX||8,339||16h 15m||Airbus A380|
|9.||Saudia||JED – LAX||8,332||16h 40m||Boeing 777-300ER|
|10.||Qatar||DOH – LAX||8,306||16h 15m||Boeing 777-200LR|
*Flight time measured by longest blocked time (typically the westbound leg).
This battle among the world’s carriers doesn’t show any signs of slowing down, either. United Airlines just last week announced that it’ll operate a flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) operated by its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which will be the longest route ever flown by a US carrier. The flight is already bookable, with daily nonstop service beginning on October 27.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee