This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The competition for the world’s longest passenger flight continues to heat up with multiple airlines vying for the bragging rights that come along with operating such a flight. With cheaper fuel and increased efficiency, airlines have continued to test the limits of their various long-range aircraft by linking far-flung cities that previously wouldn’t have seen nonstop service on that route.
Over the past several years, airlines have been leap-frogging one another — seemingly adding a new world’s longest route every couple of months. Qantas Airways is set to launch the first ever direct link between Australia and Europe in 2018 with its nonstop flight from Perth (PER) to London (LHR). Meanwhile, the world’s new longest airline route, a nonstop flight from New York to Singapore (SIN), is set to be revived by Singapore Airlines next year.
Qatar Airways tops this year’s list with a whopping 9,032-mile trek lasting 17 hours and 30 minutes on its nonstop Doha (DOH) to Auckland (AKL) route, according to a report from OAG. Here’s the full list of the world’s 10 longest airline routes by miles for 2017.
Longest Passenger Flights in the World
|Rank||Airline||Route||Distance (miles)||Flight time*||Aircraft|
|1.||Qatar||AKL – DOH||9,032||17h 30m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|2.||Emirates||AKL – DXB||8,824||17h 15m||Airbus A380|
|3.||United||LAX – SIN||8,770||17h 55m||Boeing 787-9|
|4.||Qantas||DFW – SYD||8,578||17h 10m||Airbus A380|
|5.||United/Singapore||SFO – SIN||8,446||17h 15m||Boeing 787-9/Airbus A350|
|6.||Delta||JNB – ATL||8,439||16h 55m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|7.||Etihad||AUH – LAX||8,390||16h 45m||Boeing 777-200LR|
|8.||Emirates||DXB – LAX||8,339||16h 15m||Airbus A380|
|9.||Saudia||JED – LAX||8,332||16h 40m||Boeing 777-300ER|
|10.||Qatar||DOH – LAX||8,306||16h 15m||Boeing 777-200LR|
*Flight time measured by longest blocked time (typically the westbound leg).
This battle among the world’s carriers doesn’t show any signs of slowing down, either. United Airlines just last week announced that it’ll operate a flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) operated by its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which will be the longest route ever flown by a US carrier. The flight is already bookable, with daily nonstop service beginning on October 27.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards