The Longest Flight in the World Just Landed in New Zealand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways flight #920 officially became the new world’s longest regularly scheduled commercial flight when it touched down just a short while ago at 7:15am local time in Auckland (AKL), New Zealand, which is equivalent to 1:15pm Eastern here in the United States.
The eastbound flight from Doha (DOH), Qatar, is normally scheduled to take 16 hours and 20 minutes, with the westbound journey clocking in at just over an hour longer. Today’s inaugural journey landed in Auckland around 15 minutes early, even after departing from Doha 15 minutes late. The 9,032 miles traversed between the two cities beats the previous titleholder — the Dubai (DXB) to Auckland flight served by Emirates since March 2016 — by roughly 208 miles.
While Qatar will undoubtedly be proud of its accomplishment, some might argue that it’s already been beaten by Air India, which reversed the direction of their Delhi (DEL) to San Francisco (SFO) flight this past October. That decision added over 1,800 miles to the actual distance flown on that route, while saving two hours and 13 tons of fuel thanks to more favorable winds in the eastbound direction. So today’s Qatar flight is the world’s longest by time and by point-to-point distance, but Air India travels more actual miles.
Regardless, neither airline may get to spend too long at the top of the mountain. Singapore Airlines has announced that, starting in March 2018, it will resume service between Singapore (SIN) and both Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (NYC), with the latter route covering roughly 9,500 miles. That distance would beat either Qatar’s or Air India’s claim to the world’s longest flight. Singapore previously flew Newark (EWR) to Singapore with an all-business class Airbus A340-500, but discontinued it after retiring the planes. However, once the airline’s new Airbus A350-900ULR’s are delivered, it will be able to resume the ultra-long distance route.
In the meantime, if you’re interested in trying out the current world’s longest flight, Qatar is using a Boeing 777-200LR on this route, with 42 flat-bed seats in business and 217 standard seats in economy — award space is available in both cabins as early as this month and as far out as December. You can find award space using the British Airways Avios search tool at ba.com and book using miles from any Oneworld partner, including American AAdvantage miles at 42,500 miles in economy or 80,000 in business each way.
Featured image courtesy of Alan Wilson via Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees