United Adds Taipei as Latest 777-300ER Polaris Destination
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United currently flies a Boeing 747 on its daily nonstop from San Francisco (SFO) to Taipei (TPE), but given that the airline’s planing to retire the Queen of the Skies sometime this year, a change is on the horizon…
As of August 1, 2017, United will begin flying its latest and greatest aircraft to Taipei, the 777-300ER (77W). Currently, this is the only plane that features UA’s new Polaris business-class seat, representing a huge upgrade from the 2-4-2 business class United current flies on this route — in fact, it’s even a step up from the airline’s international first class. This latest route joins flights from San Francisco to Hong Kong (HKG) and Tokyo (NRT), plus one of two daily nonstops from Newark (EWR) to Tel Aviv (TLV).
What’s especially interesting about Taipei, however, is that upgrade and award availability tends to be fantastic. I’ve seen several upgrade seats available on many dates on this route, even after the 77W swap, which is especially good news considering how rough the 3-4-3 economy will be.
Economy and business-class availability is also fantastic on this route — there are nonstop or one-stop flights available almost every day, but note that some of the award space reflected in the calendar below may be operated by EVA Air, requiring 80,000 miles each way if traveling in business class, instead of the 70,000 miles you’ll redeem to fly on United.
While seat delays have resulted in a slower-than-anticipated 777-300ER rollout, it sounds like United’s expecting to take delivery of more aircraft sooner than later. And, given the award and upgrade availability on the SFO-TPE route, this latest addition is especially good news for United MileagePlus members and elites.
H/T: Routes Online
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.