This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United currently flies a Boeing 747 on its daily nonstop from San Francisco (SFO) to Taipei (TPE), but given that the airline’s planing to retire the Queen of the Skies sometime this year, a change is on the horizon…
As of August 1, 2017, United will begin flying its latest and greatest aircraft to Taipei, the 777-300ER (77W). Currently, this is the only plane that features UA’s new Polaris business-class seat, representing a huge upgrade from the 2-4-2 business class United current flies on this route — in fact, it’s even a step up from the airline’s international first class. This latest route joins flights from San Francisco to Hong Kong (HKG) and Tokyo (NRT), plus one of two daily nonstops from Newark (EWR) to Tel Aviv (TLV).
What’s especially interesting about Taipei, however, is that upgrade and award availability tends to be fantastic. I’ve seen several upgrade seats available on many dates on this route, even after the 77W swap, which is especially good news considering how rough the 3-4-3 economy will be.
Economy and business-class availability is also fantastic on this route — there are nonstop or one-stop flights available almost every day, but note that some of the award space reflected in the calendar below may be operated by EVA Air, requiring 80,000 miles each way if traveling in business class, instead of the 70,000 miles you’ll redeem to fly on United.
While seat delays have resulted in a slower-than-anticipated 777-300ER rollout, it sounds like United’s expecting to take delivery of more aircraft sooner than later. And, given the award and upgrade availability on the SFO-TPE route, this latest addition is especially good news for United MileagePlus members and elites.
H/T: Routes Online
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees