This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I never thought I’d be able to surf, especially at 6’7″ and with gravity not really working in my favor. But on a recent trip to Nihi Sumba Island, one of the top surf spots in the world, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to at least give it a try.
At this beautiful resort located on the Indonesian island of Sumba, you can take lessons in a protected bay with beginner waves (like I did) before trying to take on Nihi Sumba Island’s signature, privately owned wave, the only one in the world. You’ll actually need to make reservations for the wave — often referred to as “God’s Left” — and space is limited, as only 10 permits are given out per day to surf it.
Since I still had some learning to do, I stuck with the smaller waves this time around, but was pretty impressed with myself — I only wiped out once!
Learning from the surfing coaches in one of the most beautiful parts of the world was just another great way to pass the time at this incredible resort.
Prices start at $250 per person for a 90-minute private surf lesson. You can also try out tandem surfing (ie. two people on one board) and tow surfing (when you’re towed out via jet ski to the bigger waves), or if you want to venture away from the resort, opt for a guided excursion to some of the other surf spots around the island. Check out the video above to see what my experience was like.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees