Surfing in Sumba, Indonesia at the World’s #1 Resort, Nihi Sumba Island (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I never thought I’d be able to surf, especially at 6’7″ and with gravity not really working in my favor. But on a recent trip to Nihi Sumba Island, one of the top surf spots in the world, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to at least give it a try.
At this beautiful resort located on the Indonesian island of Sumba, you can take lessons in a protected bay with beginner waves (like I did) before trying to take on Nihi Sumba Island’s signature, privately owned wave, the only one in the world. You’ll actually need to make reservations for the wave — often referred to as “God’s Left” — and space is limited, as only 10 permits are given out per day to surf it.
Since I still had some learning to do, I stuck with the smaller waves this time around, but was pretty impressed with myself — I only wiped out once!
Learning from the surfing coaches in one of the most beautiful parts of the world was just another great way to pass the time at this incredible resort.
Prices start at $250 per person for a 90-minute private surf lesson. You can also try out tandem surfing (ie. two people on one board) and tow surfing (when you’re towed out via jet ski to the bigger waves), or if you want to venture away from the resort, opt for a guided excursion to some of the other surf spots around the island. Check out the video above to see what my experience was like.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.