Surfing in Sumba, Indonesia at the World’s #1 Resort, Nihi Sumba Island (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I never thought I’d be able to surf, especially at 6’7″ and with gravity not really working in my favor. But on a recent trip to Nihi Sumba Island, one of the top surf spots in the world, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to at least give it a try.
At this beautiful resort located on the Indonesian island of Sumba, you can take lessons in a protected bay with beginner waves (like I did) before trying to take on Nihi Sumba Island’s signature, privately owned wave, the only one in the world. You’ll actually need to make reservations for the wave — often referred to as “God’s Left” — and space is limited, as only 10 permits are given out per day to surf it.
Since I still had some learning to do, I stuck with the smaller waves this time around, but was pretty impressed with myself — I only wiped out once!
Learning from the surfing coaches in one of the most beautiful parts of the world was just another great way to pass the time at this incredible resort.
Prices start at $250 per person for a 90-minute private surf lesson. You can also try out tandem surfing (ie. two people on one board) and tow surfing (when you’re towed out via jet ski to the bigger waves), or if you want to venture away from the resort, opt for a guided excursion to some of the other surf spots around the island. Check out the video above to see what my experience was like.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees