This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express
Here’s some incentive to use your Platinum Card from American Express on your next Hilton stay: 7,500 bonus points. Amex Platinum, Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN and Corporate Platinum Card holders in the US are eligible to earn the bonus points on stays of at least two nights after registering for the promotion on the Hilton website as well as enrolling in the complimentary Honors Gold status that comes with the Platinum card.
This promotion runs from now through August 7, 2017, meaning that you have to check out on or before August 7. All Hilton hotels and resorts within the portfolio are eligible, with the exception of Hampton by Hilton hotels in Mainland China. The terms and conditions state that the offer may not be combined with other select promotions, offer or discounts, however, Hilton Honors is currently running its summer promotion to earn 2x base points on all stays through August 2017. Plus, you can earn 500 bonus points for stays booked through the Honors app through the rest of the year. It’s not entirely clear if you’ll be able to earn bonus points from this Amex Platinum promo on top of the others that are currently running.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, which peg Hilton Honors points at 0.6 cents apiece, those 7,500 Hilton points are worth $45. But, keep in mind that you’ll need to pay with your Platinum Card, so you could be forgoing bonus points you’d be earning with a card like the Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express. The card is currently offering a sign-up bonus of up to 75,000 Honors points after you spend $3,000 within the first three months of account opening. The card earns 12 points for every dollar spent with a Hilton property, as well as 6x points at US restaurants, supermarkets and gas stations and 3x points on all other purchases. But, it’ll be best to do the math to see if you’d earn more on a particular stay with the Amex Platinum than with the bonus earning from a Hilton co-branded card like the Surpass.
Featured image courtesy of Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort.
H/T: Running With Miles
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees