Which Travel Companies Played April Fools’ Jokes This Year?
It’s April 1 all day today, and in recent years travel companies have gotten in on the act of launching April Fools’ pranks, some with more success than others. Here’s a roundup of the best and worst this year…
WestJet said it was rebranding itself as Canada Air, emphasizing the friendliness of its home nation while poking at its big brother Air Canada with the hashtag #MostCanadian:
Emirates claimed to be launching a triple-decker aircraft with its own swimming pool, games room and more:
Richard Branson fronted Virgin Atlantic’s contribution to the day of pranks. announcing the airline’s new “flapenergy” technology and the resulting airplane with flappable wings named the Dreambird 1417:
And how about Travelodge’s new “Whiff and Wake” service that wafts the smell of bacon directly from your hotel room’s alarm clock?
Meanwhile, the efforts of some travel companies didn’t quite make the grade. Southwest claimed to have created an in-flight matchmaking app called Bucklr:
We don’t know what tattoos have to do with travel insurance, but that didn’t stop Australian company Travel Insurance Direct from promoting its new “tattoo spell checker” app…
We’re also not sure about the Lyft Mono, a wearable hailing device, nor about the guy randomly dancing around while wearing it:
Finally, it’s not clear Etihad completely understands how this April Fools’ thing works:
Cherry blossom tree in the desert. Get it? Get it…?
Did you catch our own April Fools’ story this morning? Check it out here: New Uber Service Ditches Cars & Drivers for Piggyback Rides. And of course, make sure you’re following our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts, where TPG himself had a little fun today as well:
Featured image courtesy of southtownboy/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.