WOW Air to Launch Service Between Chicago and Reykjavik
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Good news for Midwest-based travelers looking for cheap transatlantic flights — today, WOW Air announced that it’s launching nonstop service between Chicago’s O’Hare Airport (ORD) and Reykjavik (KEF), allowing passengers to have the option to then connect to WOW’s network throughout Europe.
WOW will launch 4x weekly service from the Windy City to Iceland beginning July 13, 2017, with fares starting at $99 one-way. For example, this one-way fare from ORD to KEF, which costs $99 (including taxes and fees) in September:
Flyers originating in Chicago can book flights to other cities throughout Europe, such as London, Paris, Amsterdam, Dublin, Copenhagen and more, via KEF with fares starting at $149 one-way.
The new route between Chicago and Iceland will operate four times a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The flights will be operated by the carrier’s A321 aircraft, which feature seats with 30 inches of pitch or 34 inches of pitch for an additional fee. Check out our review from a low-cost WOW flight from Boston (BOS) to KEF so you have an idea of what to expect.
With the addition of Chicago to its US route network, the low-cost carrier now serves seven US cities: Miami (MIA), Pittsburgh (PIT), New York (EWR), Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). In addition, the carrier serves two other North American destinations, Montreal (YUL) and Toronto (YYZ). Keep in mind, however, that WOW Air is a low-cost carrier that charges for things that you might be used to getting for free on other carriers, such as seat assignments, meals, checked baggage and more.
Overall, this is great news for Chicago-based flyers, who now have a low-cost option for flights originating out of the city to Europe. Even for flyers based in other Midwest cities, the trip to Chicago could be worth it in order to take advantage of these sometimes unbeatable fares. And with plenty to see and do in Iceland, there’s now an easier way for Chicago-based travelers to get there.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees