Exciting New Airline Routes for March 2017 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, I’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change based on your travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN MARCH 2017
Emirates Begins Service from Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) (launched March 12)
Details — Emirates launched a new fifth-freedom route, with service from Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH). The Dubai-based carrier landed its 777-300ER in Newark on March 12, starting daily service between the two cities. It will be the first carrier to offer year-round service between EWR and ATH, competing with Delta and United, which operate seasonal flights from JFK and EWR, respectively.
- EK210 Newark (EWR) 11:55pm Departure ⇒ Athens (ATH) 4:05pm (+1) Arrival
- EK209 Athens (ATH) 5:30pm Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 10:00pm Arrival
Denver (DEN) – Belize City (BZE) on Southwest Airlines (launched March 11)
Details — Southwest Airlines introduced nonstop service from Denver (DEN) to Belize City (BZE), becoming the only airline to fly between the two cities without a connection. The carrier will operate a 737 on the 4+ hour flight. Currently the carrier operates the flight on Saturdays, but will add Sundays starting June 4 through August 14.
Schedule (1x Week, 2x a week from June 4 – August 14):
- SWA288 Denver (DEN) 10:30am Departure ⇒ Belize City (BZE) 2:50pm Arrival
- SWA289 Belize City (BZE) 1:15pm Departure ⇒ Denver (DEN) 6:00pm Arrival
Sunday flights, which operate from June 4 – August 14:
- SWA288 Denver (DEN) 10:55am Departure ⇒ Belize City (BZE) 3:05pm Arrival
- SWA289 Belize City (BZE) 1:10pm Departure ⇒ Denver (DEN) 5:30pm Arrival
Oakland (OAK) – Copenhagen (CPH) on Norwegian (launched March 28)
Details — On March 28, low cost-carrier Norwegian commenced operations for its new route from Oakland (OAK) to Copenhagen (CPH). The carrier will fly a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner on the 10+ hour flight, which will operate on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Norwegian also flies nonstop from Oakland to London (LGW) and Oslo (OSL) and will begin flights to Barcelona (BCN) in June.
Schedule (2x per week):
- NLH7070 Oakland (OAK) 6:15pm Departure ⇒ Copenhagen (CPH) 1:35pm (+1) Arrival
- NLH7069 Copenhagen (CPH) 2:25pm Departure ⇒ Oakland (OAK) 4:15pm Arrival
- NLH7070 Oakland (OAK) 8:00pm Departure ⇒ Copenhagen (CPH) 3:20pm (+1) Arrival
- NLH7069 Copenhagen (CPH) 4:10pm Departure ⇒ Oakland (OAK) 6:00pm Arrival
British Airways Starts Flights From London to New Orleans (MSY) and Oakland (OAK) (launched March 27 and 28)
Details — British Airways is expanding in the US with new flights from Oakland (OAK) to London-Gatwick (LGW) and New Orleans (MSY) to London-Heathrow (LHR) this month. The airline will fly a 787 to the Big Easy and a 777 to Oakland. Each route operates four times a week.
Schedule (4x weekly):
- BAW2278 Oakland (OAK) 3:10pm Departure ⇒ London (LGW) 9:30am (+1) Arrival
- BAW2279 London (LGW) 10:25am Departure ⇒ Oakland (OAK) 1:20pm Arrival
- BAW224 New Orleans (MSY) 9:15pm Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 11:55am (+1) Arrival
- BAW225 London (LHR) 3:40pm Departure ⇒ New Orleans (MSY) 7:40pm Arrival
United Expands on the West Coast With Flights From Chicago (ORD) and Newark (EWR) to San Jose (SJC) (launched March 9)
Details — On March 9, United launched daily flights from Chicago (ORD) and Newark (EWR) to San Jose (SJC). United will be flying a 737-800 from Newark and an A320 from Chicago.
- UAL1729 Newark (EWR) 4:30pm Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 8:05pm Arrival
- UAL2038 San Jose (SJC) 6:20am Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 2:50pm Arrival
- UAL1883 Chicago (ORD) 7:30pm Departure ⇒ San Jose (SJC) 10:06pm Arrival
- UAL1280 San Jose (SJC) 6:40am Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 12:48pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN MARCH 2017
Norwegian Adding Flights From Northeast to Bergen, Norway
Details — Norwegian is ramping up its service from the smaller airports of Newburgh (SWF) and Providence (PVD) by adding flights to Bergen (BGO), Norway. It will fly its new Boeing 737 MAX on the routes with 189 seats in economy and no premium cabin. Flights will operate from Providence on Tuesdays and Saturdays beginning on July 1 and from Newburgh on Sundays and Thursdays beginning on July 2.
Schedule (2x a week):
- IBK1770 Newburgh (SWF) 8:35pm Departure ⇒ Bergen (BGO) 9:55am (+1) Arrival
- IBK1771 Bergen (BGO) 4:30pm Departure ⇒ Newburgh (SWF) 6:25pm Arrival
- IBK1830 Providence (PVD) 8:50pm Departure ⇒ Bergen (BGO) 10:05am (+1) Arrival
- IBK1831 Bergen (BGO) 5:20pm Departure ⇒ Providence (PVD) 7:05pm Arrival
American Announces Slew of New Domestic and International Routes
Details — American Airlines announced more than 26 routes from hubs all across the country. You’ll see new flights from Charlotte (CLT), Chicago (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA) and Phoenix (PHX). Highlights include service from Dallas to Amsterdam (AMS) and Rome (FCO) as well as Chicago to Barcelona (BCN) and Guatemala City (GUA). Most routes begin this summer, and you can see every new flight here.
- AAL40 Chicago (ORD) 10:10pm Departure ⇒ Barcelona (BCN) 1:40pm (+1) Arrival
- AAL41 Barcelona (BCN) 3:45pm Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 6:35pm Arrival
- AAL4771 Miami (MIA) 12:45pm Departure ⇒ Mérida (MID) 2:04pm Arrival
- AAL4772 Mérida (MID) 2:44pm Departure ⇒ Miami (MIA) 5:45pm Arrival
- AAL220 Dallas (DFW) 3:25pm Departure ⇒ Amsterdam (AMS) 8:15am (+1) Arrival
- AAL221 Amsterdam (AMS) 10:20am Departure ⇒ Dallas (DFW) 2:10pm Arrival
- AAL240 Dallas (DFW) 1:40pm Departure ⇒ Rome (FCO) 7:15am (+1) Arrival
- AAL239 Rome (FCO) 11:05am Departure ⇒ Dallas (DFW) 4:15pm Arrival
Alaska Airlines Announces 13 New Flights From the Bay Area
Details — Alaska Airlines continues its rapid expansion after acquiring Virgin America, announcing 13 new routes from San Francisco (SFO) and San Jose (SJC) to a slew of domestic destinations. Highlights include service to Kona (KOA), New Orleans (MSY) and Baltimore (BWI) on the airline’s A320s. The new flights will start from August through December and you can find the full list here. Flights may initially be operated under the Virgin brand, although it will be discontinued in 2019.
- ASA1041 San Francisco (SFO) 11:00am Departure ⇒ Kona (KOA) 2:30pm Arrival
- ASA1042 Kona (KOA) 3:30pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 10:35pm Arrival
- ASA1126 San Francisco (SFO) 8:30am Departure ⇒ Baltimore (BWI) 4:30pm Arrival
- ASA1127 Baltimore (BWI) 5:25pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 8:42pm Arrival
- ASA1390 San Francisco (SFO) 8:48am Departure ⇒ New Orleans (MSY) 3:03pm Arrival
- ASA1391 New Orleans (MSY) 4:00pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:30pm Arrival
IAG Launches Low-Cost Carrier LEVEL Airlines, Flying From Barcelona (BCN) to the US and South America
Details — LEVEL Airlines has become the newest player in the aviation market and will begin flying from Barcelona (BCN) to Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Oakland (OAK) and Punta Cana (PUJ). LEVEL was established as a discount carrier by IAG, which owns Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia and Vueling. The new airline will use two Iberia A330s when its flights start in June.
Schedule (3x per week for Buenos Aires and Oakland; 2x per week for Los Angeles and Punta Cana):
- IB2622 Oakland (OAK) 5:45pm Departure ⇒ Barcelona (BCN) 2:35pm (+1) Arrival
- IB2621 Barcelona (BCN) 12:00pm Departure ⇒ Oakland (OAK) 4:00pm Arrival
- IB2624 Los Angeles (LAX) 9:40pm Departure ⇒ Barcelona (BCN) 6:25pm (+1) Arrival
- IB2623 Barcelona (BCN) 3:40pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 7:55pm Arrival
- IB2602 Buenos Aires (EZE) 12:00pm Departure ⇒ Barcelona (BCN) 5:45am (+1) Arrival
- IB2601 Barcelona (BCN) 1:30am Departure ⇒ Buenos Aires (EZE) 10:15am Arrival
- IB2612 Punta Cana (PUJ) 10:15pm Departure ⇒ Barcelona (BCN) 12:55pm (+1) Arrival
- IB2611 Barcelona (BCN) 5:00pm Departure ⇒ Punta Cana (PUJ) 8:30pm Arrival
Delta to Add Flights From New York (JFK) to Rio de Janeiro (GIG)
- DAL479 New York (JFK) 9:24pm Departure ⇒ Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 10:30am (+1) Arrival
- DAL478 Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 10:15pm Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 5:36am (+1) Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured image of Rio de Janeiro courtesy of benedek via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees