Delta’s Jumbo Jet Makes Its Final Descent into Atlanta for ‘747 Experience’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This year will be the last that travelers can take flight on a Boeing 747 with an American carrier, since Delta and United will be retiring all of theirs by December of 2017. The iconic jumbo jet, which made its first flight back in 1969, is one of the world’s most recognizable aircraft because of the distinct ‘hump’ at the front of the plane.
Luckily, for all the #AvGeeks out there, this won’t be your last chance to board one. Delta is keeping one special 747-400 — the first to ever be built for an airline — and turning it into an interactive exhibit that’ll be located outside the Delta Flight Museum in Atlanta.
The 747 Experience exhibit will include views of the cockpit, cargo hold, cutaways of the body of the plane showing pipes and wires, the crew rest area and upper deck bunks for flight attendants. The giant wings of the plane will also be open to visitors. Note that for today — aka. ‘747 day’ — the entry fee to the exhibit will be $7.47 with prices rising back to the regular $15 entry fee the following day.
Featured image courtesy of the City of Atlanta Government’s Facebook Page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees